Intermittent outages, 1/26/2015, Leesburg VA
bensel3
Enthusiast - Level 3

1/26/2015, from ~11:00 eastern to noon+ (and intermittent, so who knows if it's done or not, though it is currently working)

I seem to be getting intermittent loss of connectivity beyond my gateway (particularly DNS server going away). Moved my dns to Google (8.8.8.8) and got it back for a bit, then lost it again. Appears something's going on locally. Other users are seeing specific parts of the internet go away (for example, can surf Facebook, but chat goes away), or loss of connection to Steam's servers, but can still get to other places (if you're already on them, again, likely DNS).

From the computer's perspective, the DNS source is my router. From my router's perspective, it's Verizon's primary first, then google as a backup. when the service is having trouble, I can ping IP addresses, but not FQDNs. When the problem is happening, trying to use On Demand also fails (though it, and DNS, are working right this second).

Nothing shows on current outages, but in my experience you have to have it be a hard outage for an hour or more before they'll ever admit to it (or potentially even know about it).

Anyone else seeing anything problematic today?

0 Likes
Re: Intermittent outages, 1/26/2015, Leesburg VA
Sebbie

I am down in Woodbridge and the service is definitely impacted. I was getting DNS errors and the speedtest is stupid slow. I have the 150/150 plan but I cannot even get 5 Mbps down and about 50 Mbps up. The ping is horrendous as well.

0 Likes
Re: Intermittent outages, 1/26/2015, Leesburg VA
eric9603

Same here in Dumfries, VA.  Almost unusable the past two days.  I have the 75/75 plan and can't get more than about 2-3 at best.  Prior to this recent event always got excellent speeds.  Frustrating.

0 Likes