Internet Range Has Decreased Significantly
jcl65431
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello,

Up until about a week and a half ago, I was able to use my phone or tablet anywhere in my house, even in my backyard.

Today, it won't even connect in my kitchen which is 20 feet away from my router.

The Wifi on devices used to work in any room in the house, upstairs, downstairs, basement, attic, etc.  Now all of a sudden we get disconnected as soon as we enter another room that's even on the same floor as the router.

No settings were changed at all either on the router, with my service or on the devices. 

Is there any way that we can increase the range back up to where it used to be?  It's frustrating to pay for somethnig that used to work fine, but now all of a sudden has a very limited range. 

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks. 

Re: Internet Range Has Decreased Significantly
jcl65431
Enthusiast - Level 3

Anyone?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you added any new devices, or have you noticed any new wireless networks showing up in your area? Have you gotten your power meter replaced by the utility on the off chance?

It sounds like you've either got a nasty interferer or the router has a hardware issue.

0 Likes
jcl65431
Enthusiast - Level 3

I did purchase a new tablet a couple weeks ago.  I think now I have 7 devices.  

So in order to fix my issue, I was going to call Verizon but first just wanted to know if I need a new, more powerful router or do I just need to increase my internet speed package and keep the router I already have?  

Thanks for any help, I appreciate it.  

Jeff

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@jcl6543 wrote:

I did purchase a new tablet a couple weeks ago.  I think now I have 7 devices.  

So in order to fix my issue, I was going to call Verizon but first just wanted to know if I need a new, more powerful router or do I just need to increase my internet speed package and keep the router I already have?  

Thanks for any help, I appreciate it.  

Jeff

Probably neither. You should be able to change the channel that your router is broadcasting your wireless on (Verizon tech support can help with that) so the interference is less.

0 Likes