Just upgraded from 25/5 to 25/25 but im only getting 25/7
Darn2
Enthusiast - Level 3

This week i upgraded from my old 25/5 bundle to the 25/25 but every speed test i run tells me im getting 25/7 and the latency on the connection is horrilbe(C rating on pingtest.net), xbox live is impossible to play on. I called verizon but they told me 25/25 isnt guaranteed. What should i do? Keep bitching or am i stuck with paying for this crappy service. I told them if they advertise 25/25 i should at least be able to get something close to that, but im not even getting half of the upload that i should be.  If i knew that my upload would only be slightly better i wouldnt have upgraded. PLEASE HELP has anyone had a similar issue, if so how did you go about getting it resolved?

0 Likes
Re: Just upgraded from 25/5 to 25/25 but im only getting 25/7
prisaz
Legend

@Darn wrote:

This week i upgraded from my old 25/5 bundle to the 25/25 but every speed test i run tells me im getting 25/7 and the latency on the connection is horrilbe(C rating on pingtest.net), xbox live is impossible to play on. I called verizon but they told me 25/25 isnt guaranteed. What should i do? Keep bitching or am i stuck with paying for this crappy service. I told them if they advertise 25/25 i should at least be able to get something close to that, but im not even getting half of the upload that i should be.  If i knew that my upload would only be slightly better i wouldnt have upgraded. PLEASE HELP has anyone had a similar issue, if so how did you go about getting it resolved?

Try Verizon's speed test. Many speed test sites choke at about 7mbps upload depending on location.

http://my.verizon.com/micro/speedtest/broadband/

One other thing is to make sure your PC is optimized. The default TCP settings on many computers will not produce the desired upload speed results.

Example. I am in Germantown Maryland.

Speedtest.net Fredrick Maryland 20 miles North. 41/7

Speedtest.net Ashburn Virginia 20 miles South. 41/25

Verizon Speedtest on their high speed network. 43/36

Call Verizon tech support and make sure the ONT is initialized correctly to give you the 25/25. It sounds like you are still at 25/5. Or do a hard reset yourself, not recommended because it will erase any diagnostic data that may be useful for troubleshooting. If having tech support do the trouble shooting or walking you through a cold boot does not help or happen, you can ......

To do a hard reset your self. (Cold Boot).

Turn off your router.

Unplug the power to your ONT.

Disconnect your battery.

I'd say wait about 5 min.

Reconnect your battery.

Plug the power back in.

Wait until all the lights on the ONT are normal.

Power up your router and try your speed test again.

If this does not help I would say something is not right on Verizon's side. Keep after them until it gets resolved. Yes you should be getting better speeds.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Also make sure you are testing on a wired connection and not wireless. 

If you're wired

have optimized your connection (you can also use the in home agent to optimize and test your connection)

and are testing at verizon's speedtest site (as the previous poster stated, a lot of speedtest.net's servers choke at 7 mb up) then there is no reason you shouldn't be, not only getting your speed, but slightly higher.    If all those things are true, then you should call back in for possible router replacement, or to have them look at their network again.  make sure to call when you are actually getting bad speeds at speedtest.verizon.net

most users get what they pay for and more,  fiber is light.  it's either on or off.  it doesn't really go slow, so if it TRULY is slow, it could be something at your house, or something far out on the back end.  

if the xbox is on wireless, then you may want to seriously consider getting a moca bridge for that room. 

it will provide you with a hardwired connection that won't suffer from a lot of the fluctuations that wireless have. 

Cheap solutions if it's wireless, is to spend 25 bux and get a wireless n upgrade to your actiontec router through trendnet's nifty little device (it will be faster than your wireless now, but ymmv)

or get a moca adapter.  today is the last day for their special 99 bux for two moca adapters.  you basically get a tv splitter, one side of the splitter goes to your tv, the other side to this adapter.  the input of the adapter is coax, the output is ethernet. 

Darn2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thx for the reply, i should have mentioned that i had used verizons speed test in the op, and it gives me the same results as speedtest .net (25/7- 25/9) Btw all my connections are hardwired, and i have tested each computer. (router,  2 computers and  xbox are in the same room, rest of computers are laptops)  I guess my question now is how do i get the operators to stop telling me the advertised speeds aren't guaranteed, and actually get someone to come out and fix my connection?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

make sure you also have optimized at the link I left.   they very rarely send a technician for slow speeds, its typically user equipment or network problems.   so you'll probably call and have a router sent to you, or they will escelate it to their next level support.   just mention that you understand you probably won't get the 100% maximum etc, but you should get at least 75 - 80% of what you are paying for, and that is all you're looking for.   I think you just got a rep that doesn't know how to work on slow speed issues,   

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@Darn wrote:

I have read of similar issues. The ONT was not initialized correctly for the new service, or the new tier did not load correctly. Support can fix it or you can try the cold boot of the ONT if they will not help you. If you are not able, then perhaps someone you know can help you. But I would only do that as a last resort. Seems like you are at that point. All the ONT box will lose is diagnostic data that would be used for troubleshooting if Verizon chose to do so. The ONT box will come back up and connect. No different than an extended power failure where your battery would run out.

Perhaps I will PM someone that has always helped me. Look for a Message in your private mail folder under the search button at the top right. It will turn gold. If this person does contact you it may not be right away.

PS.

I have sent a private message to a Verizon Tech I know, and also posted a link to this thread to Verizon Employees. I told them it is possible that your service is not provisioned correctly and you have already tried tech support. Someone should contact you.

0 Likes