Re: Koehler Electric Generator Oncue issues
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@gs0b wrote:

Since you have FiOS TV, you have a coax connection to the ONT.  Verizon won't enable Ethernet for the WAN if you have TV service. The Actiontec router connects to the WAN over coax using MoCA.  It also creates a MoCA LAN for the set-top boxes.  It's difficult to replace the Actiontec router, as it really needs to be at the center of your network.

There is hardware out there that will bridge MoCA to Ethernet, however you'll be creating a setup that isn't supported by Verizon.  There are posts here and on other sites that describe this setup.  Note that Verizon won't support such a setup.

From the outside looking in, it looks like to me that Kohler assumes a completely open connection to the internet.  This is a bad assumption and I think this is their fault.  It may have to do with the back-end software they are running on their web site.  If so, it's unlikely to change until they are willing to spend (a lot) more money to fix it.

One last thought; have you tried setting the generator as a DMZ host?

Good Luck.

This is incorrect.  They will enable Ethernet connection.  In fact for the fastest two tiers, 150 and 300, They must.  Yes you still need a Verizon router in the configuration if you have FIOS TV.  With the basic one they give you, you end up with both MOCA (lan) and Ethernet enabled.  The TV's, and any other devices that support moca, still connect to the router over the coax.  The router then uses the wan connection over the Ethernet cable to the ONT. 

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Thanks for the correction.  I know that Verizon prefers coax over Ethernet whenever possible; I didn't realize they finally admitted Ethernet can be used with the TV setup.  This makes sense, as the new speed tiers are faster than MoCA.

The bottom line is even with an Ethernet connection to the ONT, it is difficult to replace the Actiontec router as the center of the network and keep all FiOS TV functionality.  Another thread posted links that describe various options.  The one that removes the Actiontec as the gateway to the internet requires three total routers and is fairly complex to setup and administer.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Planning-to-use-a-different-router-rather-than-ActionTec-...

From the descriptions about the Oncue issues, this appears to me to be a problem with the design of the connection between the Oncue server and the generator.  It appears not to be setup to handle any NAT that can get in the middle; which is a bad design for a consumer product.  In my opinion, it should work with through the Actiontec router.

Enjoy.

0 Likes
Re: Kohler Electric Generator Oncue issues
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

it would appear that possibley OnCue may be using port 502 for external access abd that you would need to forward that port to the generator bridge for remote access

See page 19 at this link

http://www.apelectric.com/v/vspfiles/pdf/t1486g9.pdf

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@gs0b wrote:

Thanks for the correction.  I know that Verizon prefers coax over Ethernet whenever possible; I didn't realize they finally admitted Ethernet can be used with the TV setup.  This makes sense, as the new speed tiers are faster than MoCA.

Just a historical note: I had FiOS TV installed in Sept. 2005 and I have always had an ethernet connection from the ONT to the router, still do. Of course there is also a coax connection to the ONT for the TV. Originally the router used, a D-Link, did not have a coax connection at all, so there was an additional box, the Motorola NIM-100, that provided the coax-ethernet interface to support the Guide, VOD, etc.

But fore sure these days, Verizon prefers to use coax-only to the ONT for most installations, saves installation time and cost.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

0 Likes
jking519

Thanks for all the info.  Let me share some other info that I have regarding my problem:

1) I have a lot of trouble just pinging the generator.  It will work for a while and then just stops.  I get Timeouts sometimes and other times I get  "Destination host unreachable".  I tried both Static and Dynamic IP and same results.

2) I tried bypassing the Verizon router by using a Switch to connect my laptop to generator.  This too had inconsistent results.  I got a lot of ping timeouts.

3) I know 2 other people with FIOS - 1 of them has never had any trouble at all.  The other could not even get OnCue to connect to the Generator.  He replaced that FIOS router and his trouble appears to have gone away (so far).  I know 5 other people that do not have FIOS and have no problems.

4)  I purchesd then  new version of the ActionTec Router- REV I.  I'm having the same trouble.

5) I tried forwarding all applicable ports - no difference.  I have the 20RESL DC2 model. This has different instructions than what was posted a few posts ago.  There is supposed to be no configuration, port-fowarding, etc required. The doc can be found here if anyone is interested.

It really seems like it is an issue with the Generator, but I just don't know what I can do.

Thanks.

0 Likes
bdegnan

Yes, I tried DMZ.  it does not work, much to my surprise.  I thought it was supposed to force the device to be fully accessible over the internet.

0 Likes
jking519

bdegnan,

Can you tell me what model Generator you have an what is the OnCue firmware version?

I have the 20RESL DC2 running firmware 5.2.0 (the latest).  My 2 friends with Fios are running without any problems are running firmware 4.7.1.   Just wondering if these issues have anything to do with the firmware version.

Thanks.

0 Likes
jmschnur
Has this issue been resolved? If so how. I have 5.2 firmware with a Kohler, fios, and actiontect I. I am considering on cue.
0 Likes
bdegnan

Not resolved.  I gave up and am checking to see if a new version of Oncue might fix the issue.

0 Likes
JoeyD1973

I'm having all the same issues reported in the previous posts....The kohler dealer came on-site and had Verizon Fios tech support on the phone......A lot of finger pointing and ultimately swiched out my Verizon Actiontec router with a neighbors Verizon Router and bingo Oncue connected-  In the interim I had Verizon send me out one of the new routers (red and black Actiontec)-  I installed the new router and all worked flawlessly for 5 days and then bang...no connection.  I'm convinced it's a verizon issue.....  I ran a 300' ethernet cable from my generator to a neighbors comcast router.....funny, it connected without issue...

0 Likes