MSN Premium vs Windows 7
badad
Enthusiast - Level 2

Upgraded xp computer to windows 7 (clean install). Lost my MSN software in the process. Downloaded "FIOS with MSN" to my desktop. When I try to run the installer, it stops and tells me my OS doesn't meet minimum requirements. Apparently doesn't recognize 7 yet. When I right click to run in xp compatibility mode, it hangs up immediately with " not signed in as administrator".  Not a life or death at this point, this isn't my main computer, but I'd like to be able to get my MSN email at this computer. Anybody know a workaround for this?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: MSN Premium vs Windows 7
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Actually the problem is that MSN premium was discontinued last year. It is no longer supported by Microsoft and since Microsoft no longer supports it, neither does Verizon. Even though Verizon's compatibility page says it is compatible, its not. And to top it all off, Microsoft likely will not make a patch for it as they have pulled all support for it.

View solution in original post

mab57
Enthusiast - Level 3

I upgraded my Vista OS to Windows 7. I had the MSN premium software, but lost it through the clean install of the new OS. I have a Windows Live ID account & I can get my MSN mail through either Internet Explorer or Firefox. I don't need the MSN software to get my e-mail, so I haven't even tried to install it. I may even change from MSN Premium to Yahoo when that is compatible with Windows 7.

0 Likes
badad
Enthusiast - Level 2

I created a Windows Live ID as well, but that has issues. I can send emails out, but all attempts to email myself comeback with delivery failure. Besides, Ive grown fond of MSN Premium, and I really don't want to give it up. By the way, just curios, Why did you do a clean install from Vista? Did you change up to 64 bit or something. I've been leary about upgrading my main computer (Vista). I shouldn't lose MSN on an upgrade, but I'd feel more comfortable doing it once I know I can get it reinstalled on 7. I'd like to hear from Verizon, whether or not they're aware of this problem and working on a fix. Windows 7 here to stay, so they have to address it sooner or later.

0 Likes
mab57
Enthusiast - Level 3

I had a clean install done because I'd heard that it was better that way & there was less chance of problems than with an upgrade. I went from Vista Home Premium 64-bit to Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I haven't had any problems & I'm glad that I did it this way. The only negative was losing some software that came with my computer, although I can live without the software that I lost. I have Windows Live Mail set up to send & receive both my Verizon & MSN e-mail.

0 Likes
gbjay3

Since both Windows 7, and MSN Premium are Microsoft owned and developed properties, most likely it is only a matter of time before a Microsoft team completes compatibility changes to MSN, in order that it interfaces with their newest consumer Operating System. I suggest you visit http://www.msn.com/  and write to Microsoft, via FEEDBACK, and/or click on the HELP link (both are at the bottom of the page)  to search for solutions. 

GBJ

@badad wrote:

Upgraded xp computer to windows 7 (clean install). Lost my MSN software in the process. Downloaded "FIOS with MSN" to my desktop. When I try to run the installer, it stops and tells me my OS doesn't meet minimum requirements. Apparently doesn't recognize 7 yet. When I right click to run in xp compatibility mode, it hangs up immediately with " not signed in as administrator".  Not a life or death at this point, this isn't my main computer, but I'd like to be able to get my MSN email at this computer. Anybody know a workaround for this?

0 Likes
badad
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't think this problem is Microsoft's. The problem is with VERIZON'S download. If I could download MSN at the MSN website, I would, and I'm relatively certain it wouldn't  have compatability issues for the same reason you stated (Microsoft owns both). When I tried to download MSN from thier website, It doesn't recognize my MSN or Verizon.net email addresses. I assume that is because my subscription is through Verizon. Thats why I'm posting on a VERIZON community site.I'm hoping someone from Verizon will address this, but in the meantime, I thought I'd check here to see if anybody had the same issue, and knew a way around it, but thanks for the input. Like I said before, I'm not sweating it, its only my son's computer, but I'm not changing my computer to 7 till I'm absolutely sure I can get my MSN back, if I should lose it in the upgrade. Microsoft says I wont lose programs on an upgrade, but I've heard that before.

0 Likes
mab57
Enthusiast - Level 3

Check this out. This is from Verizon's website. They are claiming that the MSN Premium portal is fully compatible with Windows 7, both 32-bit & 64-bit.

http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp/HighSpeed/General+Support/Top+Questions/QuestionsOne/125554...

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Actually the problem is that MSN premium was discontinued last year. It is no longer supported by Microsoft and since Microsoft no longer supports it, neither does Verizon. Even though Verizon's compatibility page says it is compatible, its not. And to top it all off, Microsoft likely will not make a patch for it as they have pulled all support for it.

badad
Enthusiast - Level 2

mab 57 & Spacedebris, thanks so much for doing my homework. Now that you bring it up, the default email in my Vista computer (Internet Explorer?) never would or could communicate with my MSN email. Something to do with not being a pop3 or something else compatible email program. Kinda bizzare when you consider Microsoft owns both. I guess I've gotta resolve myself to letting my Butterfly go free. If it loves me it will come back-NOT!  Again, thanks so much for your help, even if it wasn't what I wanted to hear. I'm gonna mark this as resolved, THANKS AGAIN!

0 Likes
sgip2000

@badad wrote:

When I right click to run in xp compatibility mode, it hangs up immediately with " not signed in as administrator".

Have you tried disabling User Account Control?

0 Likes