May be wrong forum but how do I portforward?
skyliner34
Contributor - Level 2

Okay so I have netgear and my laptop is getting NAT:Moderate and I would like to switch it to open. Now I drop sometimes that is why I want to open my port. I put the netgear router on dmz on the fios but it's still not getting opened. I even portforwarded on both the routers and its not open. The actiontec can open itself but you see I have netgear+actiontec so how do I get my ports open?

0 Likes
Re: May be wrong forum but how do I portforward?
skyliner34
Contributor - Level 2

Hello anyone? I really need to portforward for my game.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

Can't advise you on how to port forward the Netgear.  Check the manufacturer's documention.

Actiontec port forward instructions can be found here:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16968

Some questions:

• Which router is primary?
  • If Netgear is primary, why are you even trying to port forward the Actiontec?
  • How are the routers connected?  LAN-to-WAN or LAN-to-LAN?
  • "The actiontec can open itself"  What does that mean?
  • How are you determining the ports are not open?  The game must be running and accepting connections for the ports to be considered open. See my response here: http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Port-forwarding-woes/td-p/589945
0 Likes
skyliner34
Contributor - Level 2

I know how to portforward. I portforwarded both routers netgear+actiontec. I even put the netgear on the DMz  of the actiontec and my port is still closed. LAN-ethernet. The lan is on the actiontec connected to the internet port on my netgear router.

I mean I can portforward on the actiontec but when I portforward on the netgear it won't open which my laptop is connected to so it won't open. I am getting moderate nat, I should be getting opened like when I was connected to the actiontec mi424wr. I used http://www.canyouseeme.org/ and my game should be saying open instead of moderate. It's really confusing because the netgear port won't open and I don't know how to make it open even thought I port forwarded on the netgear.

0 Likes
skyliner34
Contributor - Level 2

Hello anyone know how to forward my ports?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You need to eliminate the double NAT (Netgear + ActionTec). Running two routers like this is prone to all sorts of trouble, especially with Port Forwarding like you're seeing. If UPnP is also in use, this complicates the issue further.

If your ActionTec is set up as the primary router, you should set your Netgear as an Access Point/Switch combo so that you are not introducing a Double NAT. This is typically accomplished by disabling DHCP and all other routing functions on your Netgear, including UPnP, Firewall, etc, and connecting the Netgear up to your ActionTec LAN to LAN rather than LAN to "Internet" as it sounds like you have it now.

Also for game consoles, if you use multiple, make use of UPnP.

0 Likes
skyliner34
Contributor - Level 2

I don't think my actiontec is setup as a router as I disable the wireless part of it and I can't access the UPNP on my netgear router. I made my netgear as a AP but I can't still access port forward that port. I want my Netgear to be my router not the actiontec. I can't even access the port forward feature on my router now because I just set it up as an AP. I did Lan to Lan and port not open still.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

As said you may have to eliminate the double NAT.  Another possibility that helps in some cases is putting your NETGEAR in your Actiontec's DMZ.

0 Likes
skyliner34
Contributor - Level 2

How do i elimate double nat, as said in my first post I already did the dmz on actiontec.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

You need to change your own router to no longer act as a router.  Details vary by model, but first thing is to not have it act as a dhcp provider.  Instead have the actiontec supply all addresses.

0 Likes