Re: Netgear Orbi or FiOS Network Extender
MDTerp429
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I have done a combination of things to approach this problem based on everyone's feedback. I haven't picked up the network extender just yet, as I've just been playing around with the wired connection. I picked up the Actiontech Moca adapter ECB6200. The Motorola one was not stocked at my local Best Buy and the 2-pack actiontech was actually on sale for the same price as 2 of the Motorola version.

Here's my setup in my basement:
ONT --> Fios quantum gateway (WAN)
FQG (LAN1) --> ECB6200 (ethernet)
ECB6200 (Coax in) --> Wall outlet (coax)

On the main level in the family room:
Wall outlet (coax) --> splitter --> VMS1100
Wall outlet (coax) --> splitter --> ECB6200 (coax in)

I currently am not sending the ECB6200 STB/TV coax to any devices.

I'm seeing 2 "problems" and I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if this is expected behavior.
1. When I use the "STB/TV out" coax port on the ECB6200 in the family room to feed the VMS1100, the STB is no longer on the network so the On Demand goes away. The other 2 STBs on the second level still show as "active" and on the network of the FQG (didn't check if their on demand still works but based on them being "active" I presume it will). Why does this happen? Is the network connection not present on the "STB/TV out" port of the ECB6200? That doesn't make sense to me. That's why I currently have the splitter at this point--it's the only way to keep the VMS1100 online.

2. When I do speed tests at the ethernet port on the main level at the ethernet port on the ECB6200, I get around 350/370 Mbps. I don't see any difference when I disconnect the ECB6200 in the basement at the FQG, so I think I'm not enjoying the benefit of the bonded 2.0 that the adapter is supposed to provide. What have I hooked up incorrectly? Are the 2 other STBs on the network limiting me to Moca 2.0?

Edited to add: speeds at the FQG wired are 900/900 Mbps.

Re: Netgear Orbi or FiOS Network Extender
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@MDTerp429 wrote:

1. When I use the "STB/TV out" coax port on the ECB6200 in the family room to feed the VMS1100, the STB is no longer on the network so the On Demand goes away. The other 2 STBs on the second level still show as "active" and on the network of the FQG (didn't check if their on demand still works but based on them being "active" I presume it will). Why does this happen? Is the network connection not present on the "STB/TV out" port of the ECB6200? That doesn't make sense to me. That's why I currently have the splitter at this point--it's the only way to keep the VMS1100 online.

2. When I do speed tests at the ethernet port on the main level at the ethernet port on the ECB6200, I get around 350/370 Mbps. I don't see any difference when I disconnect the ECB6200 in the basement at the FQG, so I think I'm not enjoying the benefit of the bonded 2.0 that the adapter is supposed to provide. What have I hooked up incorrectly? Are the 2 other STBs on the network limiting me to Moca 2.0?

Edited to add: speeds at the FQG wired are 900/900 Mbps.

Yes that is weird that on demand goes away when connected to STB/TV OUT. The ones that Verizon offers just have the one coax port so if it doesn’t work that way just keep the splitter in place. That’s the way you would have to do it if you purchased the Verizon ones anyway.

Now as far as the 2.0 limiting the bonded 2.0 that might be the reason. The FQG, VMS, and IP clients are all 2.0. One way to test it take both ECB6200s down to the FQG. Wire lan port to first ECB like you have already done. Take a piece of coax from 1st ECB to 2nd ECB. Then ethernet from 2nd ECB to computer and see if you are getting 900 mbps.