New Equipment Upgrade Request
optivity
Contributor - Level 3

Hi guys, I subscribe to Verizon's triple play package: FiOS phone, Internet and Quantum TV service(s).

Does anyone know if Verizon will agree to replace their Actiontec MI424WR rev. I Router with a Quantum Gateway G1100 Router upon my request?

I was using a two router home configuration w/a Linksys WRT1900ACS as primary (Ethernet connection to ONT) and MoCA bridge to the Actiontec router.

I was able to support VOD, Program Guide & DVR features with this configuration, but not remote streaming service.

A Verizon support tech speculated the issue is related to the MoCA 1 protocol provided by the MI424WR versus the MoCA 2 standard for the G1100.

0 Likes
Re: New Equipment Upgrade Request
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't think that the Actiontec is the problem here. Seems like Verizon just trying to push their new router wherever they can. I have the same actiontec MI424WRs and I can easily push upwards of 150 Mbps+ (Often times way more) over them (Much more than a simple video stream would ever need).

I believe the issue here is that in order to use remote DVR Streaming, the DVR box needs to be port forwarded (to some sense). Normally this is done by the Verizon router, but since you are using your own router, the ports are not automatically open. (By the way, nice router, those WRT1900ACs units are AWESOME)

Unfortunately, the way Verizon setup their remote DVR streaming system is extremely complicated, and we can't just "port forward" and have it work. I've read very conflicting information on the web, but in the end it seems that no solutions are 100% working. (This thread could be interesting: https://www.reddit.com/r/Fios/comments/34814v/how_i_got_everything_working_with_my_own_router/)

In the end the only "working" solution I could see to get the remote streaming service working would be to make the actiontec your primary router again, but this is where you would want to decide if you want to sacrafice remote DVR streaming for the pleasure of having your own router, or if you would rather have the actiontec be the main router and configure your current Linnksys router as an access point.

0 Likes