Re: Not gigabit speeds
Mandor
Enthusiast - Level 1

One thing that many people forget is that routers and switches alike have a max throughput. And, as others have pointed out, each hop along the way takes a bit of overhead so if you have any routers/switches/wireless devices your data travels through before it hits the router, your speed will drop. The higher your anticipated cap the larger the drop appears to be. 

Google Techical specs for all of your networking gear and look for max throughput. 

YOUSEE1

Not even close, I got it installed yesterday and I am unsatisfied with their service. Come on I can check the router speed from my phone while I’m away and get 940 download and 930+ upload but when I test a device it doesn’t go above 200 MB download and same with upload. Plus their TV/DVR is horrible compared to Xfinity, and it’s all over the place. Customer service is a whole other story, I called before the installation to ask for an offer that I received by email and they updated the order and promised the offer. After installation I didn’t get the offer and when I called to ask what’s going on they said sorry we can’t honor the offer since it came after your original order. They simply get you stuck in a 2 year contract and don’t give you a chance to get your true service that you are paying for, and also charge your $240 if you decide to cancel. I am defiantly not going to recommend them to anyone and also I am waiting for a chance to switch back to Xfinity 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Typically, you have a 30 day window to drop new service if unsatisfied.

If still in that window, contact support to see if your offer has that option.

Fauz

Hey guys, 

im new to this forum as i just had my service installed 2 days ago. 

Im facing a very strange problem which im hoping someone can help with. I have the 1gigabit service, and im getting nowhere near said speeds although everything is newly installed, and using the Fios Gateway router, and using the fios speedtest website to check. Now i am well aware that im not going to get the 1024/1024 speeds, it states even in the contract the speeds range between 750-950 or so, which is fine. 

The problem im facing though is, on the 5ghz wifi im not getting more than 150/300 speeds which is terrible, and thats the same across multiple new devices which surely do support said speeds. Is that normal??? Secondly, even on a wired connection, the max speeds ive gotten are 550/750, that too with nothing else connected to the network at the time. 

A Technician also came out and tried to blame it all on my devices, but on insisting, he supposedly attempted to connect his own fios tablet to the wifi and said he cant ***bleep***, then when he tried to run a wired lan test, he said himself its slower than DSL speeds. He said go ahead and cancel the service and he doesnt know what to do. Even changed out the ONT and router to no avail. 

Any suggestions, or should i just cancel the service? Im fine with the wired 500/750 speeds, but the wifi 150 download on a 1 gig connection just seems ridiculous.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

You typically won't get gigabit speeds on WiFi.

And your device can cause limitations even when hardwired.

If you run speed test from router what do you get?

0 Likes
Kenmain

I had low speeds in the 400-500 range and found out that my switches one downstairs and upstairs were not capable to do Gigabit speeds.  I had to buy two new switches and replace my old switches and now on the verizon.speedtest.net I get 948 download and 940 upload anywhere in the house to a wired connection.  If I use any other speed test site it's so much worse  Speedtest.net is 76.38 Mbps Download and 93.41 Mbps Uploads.  This happens for all the other speedtest web based testing.  The only one I get close to the Gigabit mark is with the verizon site.  There has to be something that is wrong here because I see other get higher speeds with other speedtest sites.

0 Likes
crackle

I believe it's Verizon practice to limit your speed at least 15% if you DO NOT directly use their routers. I had it tested at my house with 100/100Mbps using their ODN to connect to my laptops, and got it up to max 54Mbps for download, and 100+ for UPload. Then, ODN to my router to my laptops got the same sub 50Mbps for download. However, when the technician used Verizon router connected to ODN device, and my laptops to the VZ router, woala, 100+Mbps for Download.

I asked the technician to remove the VZ router and have my router connected to the ODN, things are back to the same. Windows 7 Pro & Win 10 Home are the OS version for laptops with no firewalls. 

Go Figure.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@crackle wrote:

I believe it's Verizon practice to limit your speed at least 15% if you DO NOT directly use their routers. I had it tested at my house with 100/100Mbps using their ODN to connect to my laptops, and got it up to max 54Mbps for download, and 100+ for UPload. Then, ODN to my router to my laptops got the same sub 50Mbps for download. However, when the technician used Verizon router connected to ODN device, and my laptops to the VZ router, woala, 100+Mbps for Download.

I asked the technician to remove the VZ router and have my router connected to the ODN, things are back to the same. Windows 7 Pro & Win 10 Home are the OS version for laptops with no firewalls. 

Go Figure.

Ask yourself this question. To what end would it benefit to limit your speeds you have been provisioned for?

if you have service up to 150/150 or lower the provisioning should be above slightly and not below. So 150/150 would be like 162/158 not the speeds you are quoting.

did you call 1-800-VERIZON and ask to to run a speed test from their proprietary server to your router? Did you use a wired computer to do a speed test to Fios speedtest server yourself?

You could with the 150/150 Test at www.speedtest.net which is Ookla and not Verizon and see the speeds I mentioned above. You cannot do these test over a WiFi connection. It must be direct cabling to the lan port on the router with a computer.

then see if it is better.

0 Likes
Seeker1437
Community Leader
Community Leader

The minimum device specifications for Fios Internet are:

Windows

• Windows 7 or higher
  • 1.2 GHz Processor
  • 1 GB RAM
  • 100Mbps Ethernet Card

Mac

• OSX 10.3.9 or higher
  • 2 GHz Processor
  • 2 GB RAM
  • 100Mbps Ethernet Card

In general, any device meeting the above criteria will see excellent performance on a Fios Gigabit Connection.

To run a speed test on a single device, please ensure your device meets the recommended criteria below:

Recommended device specifications for Fios Gigabit Connections are:

Windows

• 64-bit Windows 10 Pro
  • Intel Core i7 CPU @ 2.5GHZ or higher Processor
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Gigabit Ethernet connection or USB3 or Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

Mac

• OSX 10.12
  • Intel Core i7 CPU @ 2.5GHZ or higher Processor
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Gigabit Ethernet Connection or Thunderbolt Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

(Source: https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/getting-started/fios-gigabit under Frequenty Asked Questions > What are the device specifications?)