Re: Open Issue - Getting Frustrated
SteveP2
Contributor - Level 2

A tech again came to my home today, and would you believe it the router didnt act up. It was rebooting all morning up til about noon, and then was perfectly stable. The tech showed up at approximately 1:15 pm. He did replace a piece of coax coming out of the ONT, but nothing else was replaced.

As of right now all is right with my service, but I hate these types of intermittent issues. What is even more annoying is that the messages that come from the router do not give you anything to go on when trying to troubleshoot. I am soo not used to this, considering my Cisco 6506 in my basement.

We shall see how things go.

Steve

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@SteveP wrote:

about 2 months ago my home installation was converted from ethernet to MoCA when I had FIOS Digital Voice added. Second the original FIOS implementation done about 6 years ago re-used the existing coax from another provider.

I was shocked to hear from the tech on the phone that the re-use of the coax should never have happened. I am now wondering if my conversion from ethernet to MoCA has now exposed some form of signal to noise tolerance problem,  

A quick check of your MOCA stats should reveal if there is a MOCA signal problem.

How to check MOCA stats?

Poor MOCA stats shouldn't cause rebooting, but will typically cause connectivity issues.

FIOS is designed to reuse existing coax as long as it meets specs.

i.e.  It should be RG-6 tri-shield or better and the install tech should have tested each leg with his sunrise meter to ensure signal levels at various frequencies on each leg were within spec.

If these problems persist, I'd suggest going back to a cat5 connection to the ONT.

0 Likes
SteveP2
Contributor - Level 2

The MoCA stats are showing 238 Mbps TX and 251 Mbps Rx, so it sounds like my coax is ok. Its very weird that this mysterious rebooting would all of a sudden stop, but I am not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. At the very least I am now on an up to date router, although even this router is behind the times in not providing dual band support.

When will Verizon bring us into the 21st century, or provide a service that allows us to bring our own router of choice without losing features/functionality. 

Steve

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@SteveP wrote:

When will Verizon bring us into the 21st century, or provide a service that allows us to bring our own router of choice without losing features/functionality. 

Steve

I've been asking the same question for years. When FiOS shows up here, I'm getting my service placed on Ethernet, and I'm also going to be using a router of my choice. There is a workaround to keep features that work on the FiOS operational on 3rd party routers, but I won't disclose that here. Kind of best to keep that on a lowdown since it works wonders but is against Verizon's interests. 😉

0 Likes