Re: PER VERIZON: There is NO WIRELESS N Router (period)
bbinnard
Contributor - Level 3

This looks like an ideal router.  A couple of questions:

1. Is there any way to actually get it as a replacement/upgrade in an existing residential account?

2. All the ActionTec routers have the same model number - so waht is the Version ID for this one?

3. What are the USB ports for?

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

1)  Only way is to get one from an install tech.  Calling for a replacement will get you an older refurbished unit.

2)  Rev. I

3)  Unsupported,  although they are powered so can charge a cell phone or the like.

0 Likes
aadam101
Enthusiast - Level 3

Why not just buy your own router?  I use my own Netgear router.  I also bought some used Actiontec routers on Ebay in order to supply the rest of the house with MoCa connections.  

0 Likes
Mistaya
Enthusiast - Level 3
Just wanted to reply to the person asking if that router is available to 25/25 internets. Yes it is. I just got Fios triple play about a month ago with the 25/25 package and I got that router. Don't know how great it really is. I keep disconnecting from it where my own router never lost connection. This one doesnt seem to want to stay connected. I may go into the settings and see if anything may need changing.
0 Likes
bbookout
Enthusiast - Level 1

it is really easy to get a wireless N router actually.

just upgrade your service to something over 25 Mbps and then explain to someone in support (either online chat or on the phone) that your wireless g router is bottlenecking your internet speed to 25Mbps for wireless devices (which it will be) and you would think that a wireless N router would come with the upgrade.

Just did that and it worked fine. 2-3 days delivery time

vinnie365

@bbookout wrote:

it is really easy to get a wireless N router actually.

just upgrade your service to something over 25 Mbps and then explain to someone in support (either online chat or on the phone) that your wireless g router is bottlenecking your internet speed to 25Mbps for wireless devices (which it will be) and you would think that a wireless N router would come with the upgrade.

Just did that and it worked fine. 2-3 days delivery time

no luck here when attempting that.

Smiley Sad

0 Likes
mashumk
Enthusiast - Level 2
Verizon gave me a free Wireless N Router
JohnThrives1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I recently upgraded to Verizon FiOS at 75 Mbps but I still had the old router. All I did was chat with them online and told them the old router can't take advantage of the maximum speed. They happily sent me Verizon GigE Wireless N router for free. Unless your speeds are higher than 50 Mbps there's no point in getting Wireless N. Otherwise, if they don't give it you for free if speed are excess than 50 Mbps then just act stingy with them and that should make them unstingy and force them to send one to you free.

Re: Verizon gave me a free Wireless N Router
prisaz
Legend

@JohnThrives wrote:

I recently upgraded to Verizon FiOS at 75 Mbps but I still had the old router. All I did was chat with them online and told them the old router can't take advantage of the maximum speed. They happily sent me Verizon GigE Wireless N router for free. Unless your speeds are higher than 50 Mbps there's no point in getting Wireless N. Otherwise, if they don't give it you for free if speed are excess than 50 Mbps then just act stingy with them and that should make them unstingy and force them to send one to you free.

Thank you JohnThrives

I was polite in my chat and had an order confirmation number Emailed to me with $0.00 cost. All I said was I have a Rev. E and my WiFi is very slow now matter what I do with any channel, and I would like to get the 75/35 I am paying for. If you have had your router for a few years they are likely not to ask questions, if you are at the faster speed as John stated. We shall see how it goes. Even at 50Mbps, Wireless G on the Rev E-F, and below will only give you about half of your wired speed if you are lucky.

Best Regards

Mark

0 Likes
Re: Verizon gave me a free Wireless N Router
bbinnard
Contributor - Level 3

I started this thread a long time ago when I had trouble getting an N router from Verizon.  I posted, in another thread, how I finally did it.  After trying everything possible with no results (and I do mean everything), one day while I was out running I saw a Verizon FIOS truck stopped at a neighborhood house.  I talked to the tech who was getting some gear out of the truch and asked him if he could exchange my old B/G router for a new N one.  He said "Sure, just bring me your old one and I'll give you a new one."

So I did.  And he did.  To get the new one to work I had to call Verizon and get them to release the IP (or maybe it was really the MAC) address of my old router, but this only took a few minutes.  

My only regret was that I had previously bought my own N router and used that to get N support for a couple of non-wired devices.  But the Actiontec unit seems to provide better throughput than the N router I bought.