Re: Possible to get provisioned for faster speeds?
ALCHEMIST1
Enthusiast - Level 2

According to the friendly Verizon tech reps on the DSLReports Verizon Direct forum, the actual loop length for my line is 4000ft (~1200meters).  I had estimated an approximate loop length of ~1000meters using the loop length calculator on speedguide.net, so I'd be inclined to agree with the actual loop length number provided to me by them.  That being the case, a loop length of 1200 meters should be perfectly fine for reliably handling higher speeds than my current 3Mbps down, particularly given the excellent line stats (SNR of ~ 28 dB downstream and attenuation of 14 dB downstream) that I have, which suggests that from a physical condition standpoint, the line is fine too.  I did point this out to the Verizon tech reps on DSLReports and once again requested them to provision me to the next higher speed tier (7.1Mbps), and am now awaiting a reply from them.

On the question of the actual make and model of the remote DSLAM that services my line, they said they could not provide me with system information.

0 Likes
Re: Possible to get provisioned for faster speeds?
ALCHEMIST1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, after a lot of back and forth, I've been told "NO" in no uncertain terms.  Apparently, the Verizon techs on the VZ direct forums at DSLReports have been in touch with engineering on multiple occasions on my behalf and they finally came back and said that it just would not be possible to provision me for speeds higher than 3Mbps down because they must ensure optimal service for everyone and they're not willing to chance the possibility of degrading service.  I'm looking at other options at the moment, but unfortunately, in our area there is basically a duopoly - Verizon DSL or Suddenlink cable.  Suddenlink has many issues and I'm not going to go with them.  I guess I'm stuck at 3Mbps down until (or more likely if) such time that Verizon (or Frontier, the provider slated to take over from Verizon in our area) grudgingly decides to offer higher speeds to everyone in the area.  Thank you to everyone who responded to my posts.  Much obliged.

0 Likes