Router/Extenders Loses Connectivity Constantly
tdeprenda
Enthusiast - Level 3

We have the G3100 Router and (2) 3200 Extenders in our 3 story house. Basement houses the 3100 and the extenders are in living room and master bedroom. We have gigabit service. Over the past 6-8 months we are constantly losing connectivity a few times a week on our devices. Sometimes it's the internet gateway and sometimes the wifi signal just drops. Sometimes a restart of the routers and extenders help and sometimes it doesn't. The extenders are connected via coax. Not just one device that loses connectivity. We have a few iPhones, iPads, and windows/Mac laptops. Not sure what other info is needed to help troubleshoot. Calling Verizon is always a hassle so I thought I'd start here first. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Router/Extenders Loses Connectivity Constantly
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

This should lead to the logs:

Open a browser.

In the address bar enter 192.168.1.1

When the not private warning message appears, select Advanced.

Select "continue to 192.168.1.1"

Enter the router's Admin password in the box. (Note, this is a different password than the WiFi password). The Admin password is found on the back of the G3100.

Once logged in select "Advanced"

Select "Diagnostics & Monitoring"

Select "System Logging"

From there, the various logs can be checked by clicking on the corresponding tab.

View solution in original post

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Some questions to start the ball rolling: 🙂

If services other than Internet are active (phone and/or cable TV), do they drop when Internet service goes south?

Does the front LED on the router and/or extenders change color when Internet service is impacted?

Do any alarm lights on the ONT turn on during those times?

Cabling questions:

Are there unterminated ports on any splitters?

Are all connectors securely tightened?

Are all connectors properly attached to the cables?

tdeprenda
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the quick response...

If services other than Internet are active (phone and/or cable TV), do they drop when Internet service goes south? No

Does the front LED on the router and/or extenders change color when Internet service is impacted? Sometimes but not always

Do any alarm lights on the ONT turn on during those times?  Not sure. I will have to check next time it happens. Apologies but is the ONT where the replaceable battery is or is it the large box outside the house?

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The ONT would be the large box. Could a picture or two of the ONT be posted? Side note: submitted pictures go into queue for Moderator review before they appear. 🙂

I added a few cabling questions.

tdeprenda
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks! I will take pictures today when I get home. Just a note, the box with the replaceable battery is for the phone, I believe for backup if power goes out. The ONT that you referred to is the larger box on outside that coax comes into from telephone pole. Some other info, I have a few MOCA splitters that I purchased from Verizon to split the incoming coax then routed to each room. The main router is conneted via ethernet that the Verizon installer set up. The 1st floor is split for TV and extender using a MOCA splitter from Verizon and the 2nd floor is not split and uses the coax directly from the wall. Trying to think about all the variables.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The description of the setup seems straightforward.

Loose or improperly terminated connectors along with wide open ports on splitters can cause issues.

There is the possibility that the ONT or router could be the cause. I tend to be focused on cables.

One more question, could the Ethernet cable between the ONT and router be replaced? 🤔

tdeprenda
Enthusiast - Level 3

The description of the setup seems straightforward. Loose or improperly terminated connectors along with wide open ports on splitters can cause issues. I'll check to make sure everything is tight. So when you say wide open port, if I have a 4-port splitter and don't use them all, that could cause an issue? We've had Fios for years but the splitters are newer. I'll take pics, check all that.

One more question, could the Ethernet cable between the ONT and router be replaced?  Yes. The installer added an ethernet jack so the router is connected via ethernet cable to wall and wall jack is connected to ONT. I can easily replace cable to wall but not sure if I can replace cable to ONT.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Unused ports on splitters can cause trouble...especially with television signals.

The quick fix is to purchase 75 ohm termination plugs and connect them to the extra positions.

The better option would be to replace the splitters with units with the exact number of needed  ports.

Given that the problem only impacts Internet and not television and telephone, I'm narrowing it down to Ethernet or possibly the router itself...(but giving coaxial cable infrastructure a checkup is also worthwhile).

tdeprenda
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks so much for your help! I will try these tonight.

0 Likes
tdeprenda
Enthusiast - Level 3

Replaced the Ethernet cable from router to wall, no change. Attached pic of the ONT. Noticed that we lost wifi in Master Bedroom on second floor, extender went yellow. By time I was able to get to basement router light was white (normal). Restarted MB extender and it was fine. Waiting for extender to restart, iPad picked up wifi from probably first floor extender and was able to go out to internet. Waiting on terminators, one open port on MOCA splitter. What else can I try?

0 Likes