Re: SPEEDTEST / SLOWER THAN 71% SLOWER THAN THE REST OF USA !!! REALLY ??
Gio7707
Enthusiast - Level 3

it's getting even worst...any help out there ???

http://www.speedtest.net/

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ask Verizon to switch you to another edge router or even DSLAM (unless you're on a Remote). See if that helps. In the past it was a well known fix and it probably still applies today, even though the edge routers are beefy compared to the previous ones.

0 Likes
Gio7707
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks so much for the valuable info, will give a shot...

0 Likes
Gio7707
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ok..it's getting annoying .. If i look at the board most of the problems here are about slow DSL speeds !!

Could you please provide me with the phone numbers to call so once I start this procedure I get the direct access without any waiting time and I can smoothly speed up my DSL  ??

0 Likes
Gio7707
Enthusiast - Level 3

Haven't been back on the board and so far pretty satisfied with VZ !!  Start having a love affair with the company (ahh.. all that love and hate stuff hee..) Anyway within the next weeks I will try to switch to the new modem , but i am afraid of the bumpy ride (bugs,config, rebboots and so on) anybody knows of any problems with the 6100 or should it go smoothly ??

Thanks and have a great Sunday !!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Westell 6100s are pretty solid as a modem. The one I have here is around 6 years old and it works fine. Granted, it's in bridge mode as I already have a router at home to use.

0 Likes
Gio7707
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the reply, just out of curiosity ..will I see a differenec in speed...they told me something that it will take a couple of hours to reconfigure ??

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The 6100 takes about 10 minutes to re-configure once you hook it up. The way I prefer to do it is the more manual way, but it is typically far more reliable.

Once the new modem is hooked up, log into http://192.168.1.1/ . At the password prompt if your browser brings it up, use one of the following usernames and passwords. The first combination should be the default:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

Once logged in for the first time, the modem should ask you to change the password if the password was "password." Set it to what you wish to use for the modem in the future. Once set, the modem may try to auto-detect the connection type. Allow it to do this, and once it is online take note as to what protocol the modem is using. It will either be "Routed Bridge" for DHCP, or PPPoE with the username of "newdsl" being used. This is seen on the status page to the left of the page. From this point, we need to set up the modem to log into your Verizon account and also disable the Walled Garden.

Visit http://192.168.1.1/verizon/redirect.htm or http://192.168.1.1/verizon/redirect , whichever one works. From here, if prompted for login information, enter in the username and password you set to the modem. At the Restricted Page that appears, click the "Disable" button to shut off the Walled Garden.

If in the previous steps you saw your modem was using Routed Bridge, you should not need to proceed further and you should be able to visit websites on the Internet. If you saw PPPoE, continue onward. Navigate back to http://192.168.1.1/ and then click on "My Network." From here, click on "Network Connections" in the left side navigation and then click on the Edit Button for the "Broadband Connection (DSL)" listing. Click on the edit button for the PPPoE profile that appears, possibly called "newdsl." Re-name the connection to what you'd like to call it. Enter in your Verizon Username and Password, the one you use for the Master login to the account at the MyVerizon website, and then make sure the connection is set to "Always On." Click apply, and if the modem wishes to reboot, allow it to reboot.

From this point, the modem should show it is connected and you should be able to browse the Internet. If you are unable to connect and cannot figure out what happened, you can reset the modem back to factory defaults and run the web-based activation wizard Verizon has as an existing customer. This sometimes has the tendency to break but it should automate all of this. It does require a software install however.

I will point out if you are still seeing speed issues, a new modem most likely will not help.

0 Likes
Gio7707
Enthusiast - Level 3

SPEED INCONSISTENT !!!!  I CAN'T PAY FOR SOMETHING WHICH IS " UNKEPT PROMISES "....

imageimage

0 Likes