Re: Slow real world upload speed

I'm having the exact same problem. My speedtest always come out ok. 55 down/ 26 up. But if I actually upload files via FTP, HTTP etc., I can't get any faster than 200kb/s on a good day. It doesn't really matter where I upload to. Verizon Tech Support tells me that this is normal. Speedtest shows everything is so there is nothing they can do. They don't even want to send out a tech to check on my network. I've already received a replacement router from Verizon which of course did not solve the problem. 

I also illuminted my whole internal network by directly conncting the Verizon router with a very short coax cable to the wallbox. Even then, upload speeds are still super slow.

I'm very frustrated with this issue since I don't have the time to spend hours on the phone with Verizon doing the same useless things over and over again. I had the same FIOS speed in my previous place and the uploads where blasting fast. So I know it is possible! Is there anybody who knows how to get Verizon to do something about my issue???

0 Likes
Kestrel3
Contributor - Level 2

Sorry to say this, but no one at Verizon will help you.  Sending a tech out won't help either because as long as the speed test runs fine, there is nothing else they can or will do to improve it.  The best actual upload speed you can expect to achieve is about 2M, despite what the speed test shows.  If you are transferring to distant servers, you can expect as low as 100k speeds.

Perhaps this whole issue only came about after the change in net neutrality rules and Verizon began to shape or throttle speeds of certain data, because my actual upload speeds used to be much closer to the advertised speed.  Until Verizon is forced to change the way their network interacts with outside servers as far as these uploads go, nothing else will help improve the upload speed.

Again, if someone else here could please do an upload using hightail, wetransfer, dropbox, etc. and measure the actual speed and post it here, that would be really helpful.   It might be possible that only the  50/25 customers are affected this badly, so it would be good to know what speeds you subscribe to as well.

You time the file transfer and then use the site below to estimate the speed:

http://www.t1shopper.com/tools/calculate/downloadcalculator.php

dupsatou
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have recently been experiencing the same problem with FIOS.  I work with Linux servers for my job all over the country and routinely have the exact same symptoms while trying to upload to any of them.  I start with a 2MB/s transfer rate and it quickly drops off to around 200KB/s or sometimes even less than 100KB/s.  Its gotten quite painful and trying to explain the problem to FIOS Tech Support seems to fall on deaf ears.  They insist that the speed test is good so there is nothing more they can really do while I am able to consistently reproduce the issue no matter where the remote system is.  I'm in Dallas and I can try local servers or even servers in NYC or SF with the EXACT same issue and literally the exact same symptoms.  Sometimes my speedtest is bad but it isn't consistent enough to make them do anything about it.

I have eliminated every possible thing in my house and even plugged directly into the ONT with my laptop and can still produce it but tech support wants to send a tech out to hook up a FIOS Actiontec router and one of their laptops to do speed tests and if it tests okay as far as their concerned they say I have to pay for the tech which is ridiculous since I have proven the issue isn't even with the router or in my home.

At this point I'm looking for alternatives.  I would consider upgrading to a business account if I thought it would get me more consistent connectivity.  There HAS to be something they are either doing intentionally to throttle or there is something up with the network.  I am able to do a UDP performance test of the connection and get my full up-speed which makes me think there is definitely some sort of throttling or traffic shaping of the TCP stack going on.

0 Likes
Kestrel3
Contributor - Level 2

dupsatou - what speed FIOS service do you subscribe to?  I only noticed the issue when I upgraded to 50/25 from 25/25, but it might have started before then and I just discovered it when testing the new service speeds.

If you time an upload to a file delivery site, then time the download of the same file from the same site (I assume this be to and from the same server), you will find that upload speeds are a tiny fraction of download speeds.  A file I uploaded to Hightail took 7.5 minutes to upload, and only 18 seconds to download.  This would indicate that my upload speed is only 4% of my download speed,  or in other words, my download speed is 25 times faster than my upload speed.

0 Likes
heit0050

Hey Everyone,

Same problem here.  I recently upgraded from 50/25 to the next step up, 75/35 hoping to throw money at the problem to have it go away.  I still max out at around 2.5mbps upload when transfering to my servers in Minnesota.  I haven't tried contacting Verizon yet as I know it'll just be the runaround you are describing.  Speed test on various sites usually max out around 5mbps.  I got as high as 17mbps once with the Verizon test tool connecting to Tampa (I'm in Bradenton.)

But to answer your question - no it doesn't appear to be just 50/25 that is affected.

At this point, I'm thinking of jumping ship to Brighthouse.  I know Fiber should be superior to Cable but Verizon has to be either playing games (packet shaping) or they have some insufficent peers on their backbone network.

If I get anywhere contacting Verizon I'll let you know.

0 Likes
heit0050

So I've been do a bit more digging.  It sounds like some people are having success with getting Verizon to replace their PON board.   See this thread here:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Unusable-upload-speed-at-night-and-during-weekend/td-p/62...

I'll see if I can get Verizon to replace mine and let you know how it goes.

0 Likes
Kestrel3
Contributor - Level 2

I got them to reset the PON card with no improvement, but Verizon tech support would not replace the PON card unless they had a lot of complaints from my neighborhood about bad upload speeds.  Unfortunately, most people would not notice an issue like this because they don't do a lot of file uploads or pay attention to the actual speeds.

0 Likes
nyyfan2k

I'm having the EXACT same issue for a couple of weeks now. I've been active in a thread on DSLreports : http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29328180-Fios-Upload-Speed-very-slow-download-fine

A tech came out, replaced my modem/ONT.  Verizon speed tests show perfect speeds 80/35, like I should be and have been getting for years. Real world upload.. more like 5 at best. Their support won't help me anymore. Its's frustrating because they don't care about 3rd party speed tests and your connection with any other servers other than their own. I'm fed up with this whole situation.. time wasted on calls and now money wasted on bandwidth I'm not getting.

One thing I did notice - whenever my DHCP lease is renewed, my speeds are back to normal. However, 20-30 minutes later, my upload drops down to 5 and stays like that.

0 Likes
ECP2215125

I'm also having this issue in NoVA. Upload has been abismal for 3 weeks now. FTP, WeTransfer, etc. It's destroyed my workflow. Anyone have any idea if Comcast or Cox are any better around here?

0 Likes
Kestrel3
Contributor - Level 2

Strangely,  I am now seeing a big improvement in upload speeds, but only when I use Hightail.  The file that took 7 minutes to upload last week only took  a minute and a half today,  which looks to be a speed of around 10 Mbps.  This is by far the best upload speed I have seen since about 9 months ago when I noticed that upload speeds had slowed drastically.

Unfortunately, all of the other services such as Dropbox and WeTransfer are still painfully slow.  WeTransfer is taking almost an hour for the same file (below 300 kbps).

Something changed, but it is still unacceptably slow for most uploads.

0 Likes