Slower than slow. Not the first I know but have some questions please.
Button1991

Hello fellow Verizon users. First let me tell you about my pc.  It's second hand,  HP Pavilion, Windows Vista, 32-bit, Windows 7, sp2. Hope this helps. My router is Gateway Westell 7500.

I have been reading the replies to others who have posted that their connections are very slow, but do not understand the replies and don't have the technical know-how to report back all of the info. 

There was one link that I did click on where I typed in the IP address and it brought up my router information. All but two headings read that , more or less if you don't know what you are doing..Don't!  However I did write one thing down. One was the down speed which is 3360 Kbps, and the up speed is 864 Kbps. Does this say anything about why my internet is so slow? 

In task manager I noticed that there is information .... Processes, performance, CPU Usage and so forth. Although these numbers mean nothing to me, do these stats say anything about why I am having this issue? I was told at one time that the Services tab that shows a listing of the names and status of functions that are running, needs to be cleaned up. Here again, I do not know what these functions are and what they are for.

When I first signed on with Verizon High Speed Internet, everything ran fine and fast.  I have talked to tech support about this and they took control over my pc, but did not fix anything.

Off of the topic, but when I would try to get help on Verizon Help Page, all I'd get is IE Cannot Display This Webpage. Called tech support and they installed Google Chrome.  So what did that do?  Anyway.... 

Also, when the Verizon Internet Security Suite is scanning while I am online, most of the websites stop responding or it takes so long to open a website that I just shut down.

I am at a loss here and getting ready to trash the thing. Could it be the router, or something else?  I have cleaned up, done defragging, deleted cookies and so forth.

Thanks for reading and for any advice that someone could give to a not so technical user. Smiley Sad 

0 Likes
Re: Slower than slow. Not the first I know but have some questions please.
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sounds like you've done much of what would cover a slow computer. if the system, booted into either Windows Vista or Windows 7 isn't feeling slow it's most likely something up with the Internet connection. We'll sort that out for you and also work with anything that needs to be tweaked on the PC to get the most out of the service.

We've established one thing already. Your line is synchronized properly for 3Mbps service, which is 3360/864kbps. This also signifies you are on G.DMT ADSL or another ADSL1 standard. ADSL2 and ADSL2+ modes display different sync rates for the same speed.

If you could, can you supply to us a Speed Test from this website: http://web100.rit.edu:7123/  (needs Java) or for that matter, use http://www.speedtest.net/ to supply a speed test? The second site is easier to get results from as it gives you an image link. The first test is often more reliable for testing but you'll need to take a screenshot as lately they haven't been allowing Clipboard access due to tightened browser security.

In addition, if your service feels slow, does it only feel like this during the evening and night time hours or is it like this constantly, even in the morning?

Since you mentioned the machine getting really slow during a VISS scan, that makes me wonder: How much RAM is installed in your system? To find out go to the Start Menu, right click on Computer and then click on Properties. Under "Memory" it will display how much memory the system has, and if there is a certain amount of memory that can be used. Knowing that bit of information would be good too since a virus scan should not cause slow net performance unless the machine itself is loaded down. Your browser should be operating in RAM and using limited disk resources (which virus scans consume, due to Disk I/O).

0 Likes
Button1991

Hello Smith.  I'm not quite understanding everything that you posted, but I did find something that may or may not be part of the problem.  On the HP Total Care feature on my computer, it tells me that there is a critical maintenance issue.  It reads: Low Drive Space On HP Recovery Drive.  When I clicked to get more information, the recommendation is to Compress Files on the Recovery Drive.  What exactly is a Recovery Drive and what does Compress actually mean?  In layman's terms.

I did go to the site that you suggested. Here are the results of the test:  Ping 35ms, download speed 2.86 mbps, upload speed 0.70 mbps. And I used the second option you suggested as I do not know anything about screen shots. Hope this is a good result.

FYI:  I was unable to logon to my laptop for 3 days.  Wrote down the message it gave me but can't find it and was surprised when I was able to get on today....so far.

Thanks for your patience. Cat Happy

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would avoid touching any partition/drive that states recovery on it as those should nomally be hidden. That may render it unusable should the time come where your OS needs to be re-imaged back to the factory image. That means breaking out the Operating System disk if you have one made or have one shipped to you, or know a friend who can repair it. Compressing data however, makes the data smaller depending on the method it is done. It is time consuming for computers to compress and de-compress data, so it often has a performance hit with it. Short answer though, is don't touch the recovery partition/drive.

The speed test shows your connection is running pretty good for getting 3Mbps/768kbps service, so if anything any slow performance I would check into would be on the computer end of things at the moment. As mentioned before, when the computer runs a scan with VISS, programs start to halt for some time. Would you be able to tell us what processor and speed you have, and also the amount of memory (RAM) installed in the computer? If you don't know how to find this, if you could tell us what operating system you run that would help.

0 Likes