Re: This IS a rant
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just as a heads up: Once the Line Quality test is done, inside of the results page for the test you'll see an address offered that removes your IP address from the result. Be sure to send that link.

0 Likes
jentink
Enthusiast - Level 3

thanks for the help. a tech came by today and got it solved. here's what i posted on dslreports:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

A technician came by this morning (probably from moderator messaging on verizon forums). His test showed the connection dropping several times a minute, with one of the numbers that should be 20-25 ranging from 35-90 (capacitance?).

Anyway, there were a couple of problems. After he fixed something in the pillar out at the street (terminated one of the loops?), the NID was showing excellent results, but in-house was still dropping. He finally figured out that the orange line in the cat3 was shorting. He switched it over to the blue and everything was fine.

One other thing I noticed: Last week when the first tech came, he said our old modem (2200) was questionable. So he left a 6100. What I didn't know was that he used the 12v power from the 2200 on the 10.5v 6100. Could that have messed up the line in the house? Because last week I was getting 200-500 kbps with the old modem, and today when I switched back to the old modem after everything was fixed, the speeds were back to 200-500. I put the 6100 back on briefly and speeds were back up to 2100-2300 kbps. I then unplugged it because I was wary of the voltage difference.

Bottom line is: it works now. I would like a new modem (tech from last week wants his back), but don't want to call India again to get one sent. Is there a way to do it locally?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

i've been following some of the other posts you're helping out on: where would i get the proper splitter to run a dedicated cat3 line from the nid to the modem? 

thanks for all the suggestions and help.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The DSL Splitter I've talked about in my other posts would be one of these: http://www.suttleonline.com/catalog/dsl-filters/dsl-splitters/outdoor-dsl-splitter.html

They are built to be mounted outdoors, so they can be placed right next to your NID. You can probably buy similar products in local stores that sell Telephone and DSL equipment, buying them online or by asking Verizon to drop one off since the techs tend to have a few handy. Glad to hear the tech solved your issue though 🙂 . As far as a modem goes, any ADSL modem that you purchase should be usable on Verizon's DSL service. An ADSL2+ modem is recommended, though.

Oh, and using a higher rating on the DSL modem would more than likely fry the 6100 than it would fry your home's wiring. The DSL modem should not be putting much if any voltage onto the DSL line. It is worthwhile to keep in mind that a traditional POTS line runs at 48v, with a ringing voltage of around 100v, so it shouldn't have messed up anything unless the amperage was excessive (and by then you would have known immediately if something were wrong).

0 Likes
jentink
Enthusiast - Level 3

can i get an internal one (http://www.hometech.com/hts/products/wiring/enclosures/dmarc/cc-ulmdsl.html) and put it in the box that's already there?

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

One of those could be installed in the NID. Since those typically need access to the Telco Access portion of the NID to install, just be aware that if you mess anything up in there it's possible you can be billed for it. If you're not comfortable with installing it, a Verizon tech shouldn't have a problem installing it to the point where you can terminate your cable going to the modem at the device.

Just be aware of the type of NID you have. There are compatibility issues that need to be addressed before trying to pop it in.

0 Likes
jentink
Enthusiast - Level 3

was just told by the tech that came by today that a splitter is already in place. just need to run the cable out to the box!

thanks for the help and pointers. i've learned alot this week!

jentink
Enthusiast - Level 3

An addendum. By switching to the blue wire and fixing DSL, we now have no dial tone on our phone line....

DSL is working, but no where near  80% of my 3000 kbps rate. I used to get 2200-2600. 

Anybody else have slow results to Parsippany, NJ on dslreports? I was only getting 200 to that one so started testing to DC or LA. 

I have a friend that works for Verizon that is going to help me run cat5 from the NID directly to my modem. Hopefully that will help.

(?)