Re: Upgraded to HSI Enhanced- Still Slow Download and Video!
dbeaz
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you so much for that. I've been getting the run around for 2 months now and I'm at my wits end. Everytime I have to do something for school, I have to run down to the library and hope that they have a computer open so I can just view a pdf file or watch a documentary.  If Anthony can't figure this out, then I'll definitely contact you. Thank you once again!

Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Thanks for submitting the form. Now that we have your account information, we are working with the DSL CO to investigate the connection. We will be back in contact when we have more information.

dbeaz
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you.

0 Likes
dbeaz
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just checked my transceiver stats and the download and upload seem to be higher. I did another speedtest and the speed change is only shown in the upload speed with the download staying in the 0.08-0.55 mbps range.

Broadband Speed Test

Analysis information:

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
SendBufferSize set to [8192]
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 537.01Kb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 61.75kb/s

------ Client System Details ------
OS data: Name = Windows 7, Architecture = x86, Version = 6.1
Java data: Vendor = Sun Microsystems Inc., Version = 1.6.0_29

------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------
Client Receive Window detected at 17408 bytes.
Cable modem/DSL/T1 link found.
Link set to Full Duplex mode
Information: throughput is limited by other network traffic.
Good network cable(s) found
Normal duplex operation found.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 66.0 msec; the Packet size = 1452 Bytes; and
There were 21 packets retransmitted, 30 duplicate acks received, and 33 SACK blocks received
The connection stalled 3 times due to packet loss
The connection was idle 0.81 seconds (6.23%) of the time
This connection is network limited 99.87% of the time.
Excessive packet loss is impacting your performance, check the auto-negotiate function on your local PC and network switch

Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to:
RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: ON
RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON
RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF
RFC 1323 Time Stamping: OFF
RFC 1323 Window Scaling: ON
Information: Network Middlebox is modifying MSS variable
Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End
Information: Network Address Translation (NAT) box is modifying the Client's IP address

Transceiver Statistics

Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d20h
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_2plus
Data PathFAST

Transceiver InformationDown Stream PathUp Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)2109636
Margin (dB)34.123.8
Line Attenuation (dB)22.58.1
Transmit Power (dBm)20.112.4
0 Likes
iamwhoiam1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had a special rate which was ending November 2011. At that time my DSL was listed as HIgh Speed Extra which appears to no longer be available. I had very few problems streaming video. I called customer service to see if I could get another discount and was told that my DSL would be upgraded and changed to DSL High Speed Enhanced up to 3.0mps for downloads which would be a very slight improvement over Extra. It seems that since this change my DSL has slowly degraded. Video streaming pauses frequently which makes it difficult to watch. Have to pause the video, just let it download and watch later. According to speedtest.net, my download speeds have ranged from 1.0 Mbps to 1.7 Mbps which is in the range for my enhanced level. Upload speeds are horrid, which has always been the case: .37 Mbps. 

I called Verizon last week, was put on hold while my line was being checked and was then told that there were problems which would be checked into and someone would get back to me within 24 to 48 hours which did not occur. When I initially attempted to get DSL from Verizon it was a hassle, being told that I was too far from the office even though my neighbor had DSL. Was also set up for DSL order which was cancelled by Verizon without notification. Saw Verizon tech working within my complex (townhouses) one day and found out he was setting up dry loop for one of my neighbors. I have Verizon phone service and could not get DSL and yet someone without such service was getting a connection. Finally got through to someone at Verizion and was set up for DSL extra. That was messed up, too, because whoever set it up crossed my line with someone else's and I wound up with their phone number for 3 days. I reported it clearly explaining that it appeared that I had somone else's number and received a recorded message a few hrs. later that my line was working. Called again with the same result. Later that day called tech support form my home number and was able to retrieve the crossed number  (when I called for tech support the automaton wanted to know if I needed support for that number) and yet they sent a tech out to the other number first based on their request for assistance which was sent in after mine. That tech determined that my number was crossed with the number he was working on and showed up at my home. Adding this information because based on my experience the customer service and tech support I have received from Verizon has been abysmal. I have other examples of my problems dealing with Verizon and I am just getting tired of calling and having service get worse or more problems being created.

I am very unhappy with what has happened to my internet service. I realize that my speeds were not ultrafast originally but I could stream continuosly without constant pausing/buffering. I know that the problem is not with my computer.  I actually had a one day reprieve the other day but yesterday and today it's back to the constant pausing during streaming. Don't know why I'm paying for this. No call back from Verizon and no resolution. Don't even want to waste my time calling again but do believe the problem is on their end and not mine. Think that it is time to change ISPs if I can find one that offers a decent price and will actually allow me to get decent streaming.  Very disappointing as usual.

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh1
Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry you are having difficulty. An agent with access to your account will reach out to you directly by email, private message in the Forums and/or the billing telephone number on your Verizon account for more information or to help you resolve your issue.

@iamwhoiam wrote:

I had a special rate which was ending November 2011. At that time my DSL was listed as HIgh Speed Extra which appears to no longer be available. I had very few problems streaming video. I called customer service to see if I could get another discount and was told that my DSL would be upgraded and changed to DSL High Speed Enhanced up to 3.0mps for downloads which would be a very slight improvement over Extra. It seems that since this change my DSL has slowly degraded. Video streaming pauses frequently which makes it difficult to watch. Have to pause the video, just let it download and watch later. According to speedtest.net, my download speeds have ranged from 1.0 Mbps to 1.7 Mbps which is in the range for my enhanced level. Upload speeds are horrid, which has always been the case: .37 Mbps. 

I called Verizon last week, was put on hold while my line was being checked and was then told that there were problems which would be checked into and someone would get back to me within 24 to 48 hours which did not occur. When I initially attempted to get DSL from Verizon it was a hassle, being told that I was too far from the office even though my neighbor had DSL. Was also set up for DSL order which was cancelled by Verizon without notification. Saw Verizon tech working within my complex (townhouses) one day and found out he was setting up dry loop for one of my neighbors. I have Verizon phone service and could not get DSL and yet someone without such service was getting a connection. Finally got through to someone at Verizion and was set up for DSL extra. That was messed up, too, because whoever set it up crossed my line with someone else's and I wound up with their phone number for 3 days. I reported it clearly explaining that it appeared that I had somone else's number and received a recorded message a few hrs. later that my line was working. Called again with the same result. Later that day called tech support form my home number and was able to retrieve the crossed number  (when I called for tech support the automaton wanted to know if I needed support for that number) and yet they sent a tech out to the other number first based on their request for assistance which was sent in after mine. That tech determined that my number was crossed with the number he was working on and showed up at my home. Adding this information because based on my experience the customer service and tech support I have received from Verizon has been abysmal. I have other examples of my problems dealing with Verizon and I am just getting tired of calling and having service get worse or more problems being created.

I am very unhappy with what has happened to my internet service. I realize that my speeds were not ultrafast originally but I could stream continuosly without constant pausing/buffering. I know that the problem is not with my computer.  I actually had a one day reprieve the other day but yesterday and today it's back to the constant pausing during streaming. Don't know why I'm paying for this. No call back from Verizon and no resolution. Don't even want to waste my time calling again but do believe the problem is on their end and not mine. Think that it is time to change ISPs if I can find one that offers a decent price and will actually allow me to get decent streaming.  Very disappointing as usual.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Still bad. It looks like Verizon's Optimization system has started taking over and bumping up the sync rate, so give it a few days to see if it goes up any higher. If not, we can get that to 3Mbps or higher by forcing it and perhaps disabling optimization on the network end. Verizon should be taking advantage of some technologies ADSL2+ offers to optimize lines rather than a system that simply sets sync rates making lines drop.

As for the slow speeds, has Anthony been able to do anything for you to get this issue resolved? If not, please shoot me a PM. I'll get both things taken care of.

0 Likes
iamwhoiam1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I received a PM from Anthony and filled out form as per his request. I received an email from Verizon today  regarding installation kit being sent to me, but I have no clue what is being sent or why since I have had no other contact from Verizon. Sent Anthony an email asking him to check into this. I am assuming they are sending out a different wireless modem/router???

Updated: Someone from Verizon called me shortly after I posted this and I am being sent a new modem/router. Not sure which model I am being sent.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@iamwhoiam wrote:

I received a PM from Anthony and filled out form as per his request. I received an email from Verizon today  regarding installation kit being sent to me, but I have no clue what is being sent or why since I have had no other contact from Verizon. Sent Anthony an email asking him to check into this. I am assuming they are sending out a different wireless modem/router???

Updated: Someone from Verizon called me shortly after I posted this and I am being sent a new modem/router. Not sure which model I am being sent.

Keep us in the loop as to how the new modem works out.

0 Likes
Peter_VZ
Contributor - Level 1

I am glad your service is working better, remember if you need us again you can reach out to us here or on Twitter @verizonsupport.

Peter_VZ

0 Likes