Verizon Folder on Startup
akasjl
Enthusiast - Level 3

All, my mom had Verizon DSL installed on her PC some time ago.  When the PC starts up, for some reason the Verizon folder housed in "Program Files" always opens up and shows its contents.  The folder always has to be closed manually.  I am certain this is not normal but I do not know how to keep this from happening.  I'm sure there is a simple solution an appreciate any assistance.  TIA.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Folder on Startup
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
What does "msconfig" show in the Startup tab for the PC? Expand the information out enough for me to see the name of the startup entry, as well as the path to it. You can open the tool by using Start > Run if on XP or by searching for it using the Windows Vista/7 Search Bar. Screenshots are appreciated.
0 Likes
darist
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same thing here.

After windows starts, this folder comes up:

C:\Program Files\Verizon

I could not find anything related to this folder in msconfig.  I'm on Win XP. 

I think it started happening after I updated Verizon Media Manager just a few days ago.  I'm a Verizon FIOS customer.

David

0 Likes
akasjl
Enthusiast - Level 3

After running msconfig, there are four startup items that I see which are Verizon related: 1) McciTrayApp, 2) OnlineBackup, 3) VerizonServicepoint and 4) Gplayer.  

darist
Enthusiast - Level 1

I think I fixed it on my computer.

msconfig showed a few blank entries under startup. I didn't pay attention to them initially because they didn't say anything about verizon.  The entries had nothing for "startup item" or "command" and they had the registry path to "Run" under location.

I disabled all blank entries that msconfig was showing and the folder didn't come up the next time I re-started.

David

drywell

I had the problem of c:\program files\verizon being opened and displayed on my XP desktop each time I booted.

And I just watched a Verizon Live Chat agent fix this annoying problem.  And yes, I did boot to confirm the fix.

The agent looked around for Verizon applications installed on my PC such as Home Agent.  There are none, since I had previously de-installed any that were there.  Then the agent simply deleted the Verizon folder from c:\program files.  Deleting the Verison folder seems to be the fix.  Too simple to be true.  Why hadn't I tried that before.

In any case, I'm now a happier FIOS camper.  Hope it works for you.

0 Likes