Re: Verizon will be upgrading speeds Starting Monday 6/22
glennauve
Enthusiast - Level 2
Unfortuantely if you live in MDU you are apparently **bleep** for the higher speed options. At least they claim that is the case for the building I live in. I signed up for the 25/15 internet/extreme HD triple play bundle. But when it was installed last week I only got 20/5 speed. After calling for a week to try and get some one to actually upgrade my speed they are claiming today that because I am in an MDU the highest speed I can get is 20/5 even though I am paying for 25/15. Why I was even offered 25/15 in the first place no one can seem to explain.
0 Likes
damo

glennauve,

I am in the same boat as you are.  I own a condominium unit in which the internet data connection is being provide via VDSL and TV is being provided via MOCA.  After the lady told me that the 25/15 was available for my unit (I even made her ask tech support), I told her to go ahead and order the upgrade from 20/5 to 25/15.  After several calls to Verizon, they have opened a ticket to manually handle the order (It shows a status of Archived).  Hopefully this will be resolved satisfactorily over the next couple days, with the new speed in place.

There is no reason that they can not provide this level of service via VDSL.  The specs for the Zyxel modem even state that it is capable of even higher asymmetrical speeds.

Eventually, they are going to need to upgrade the MDU ONT to handle even higher speeds.  I wish that they could provide internet connectivity over MOCA for us triple play customers, instead of VDSL/MOCA.  They probably should have wired Cat 5E into the unit when they did the initial install.

I will be checking this thread to see if a FIOS Tech will weigh in on this subject.
0 Likes
glennauve
Enthusiast - Level 2

I will certainly be interested to hear if you get a higher speed. I am thinking about calling the FSC again to ask if what the sales department is telling me is actually true or a convenient lie to get me off their back.

I have spoken to numerous people on both the billing side and the tech support side over the last week. Each had claimed that the other side needed to do the fix until the two people I spoke to today (rep and I assume a supervisor) told me the issue was my MDU status and that was the speed limit for the building. Why no one else had thought of that before now is a bit of a mystery.

Ultimately 20/5 is more than fast enough for my purposes. But if I am paying for 25/15 I expect that speed. They also claimed today that their service agreement includes the weasle words "up to 25/15" so in theory they could provide any speed they want up to that. I wonder if that would stand up in any actual legal forum.

0 Likes
theroadkill
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah, I recently had a tech out to the house whose primary mobile provider was T-Mobile (and was so happy to hear he could get the 1,000 mins n/w for the same price he was paying for 600 mins n/w he actually upgraded his BlackBerry at the same time.. I know this as he had to come back out a week or so later and noticed a newer model/non cracked BB..) 🙂

Though I  think it a shame most end up w/2 phones atleast 1 of which is a VzW.  With the amount of time they must spend on the phone w/NT's and calling customers they should be provided a phone.  

0 Likes
void_pointer
Enthusiast - Level 2
Can anyone confirm the speed plans available in the North Dallas (Texas) area? Right now I'm on 20/20 but it would be nice if there was a free (or not) upgrade to 25/25 or something like that.
0 Likes
damo

glennauve,

After going through the ringer and finally talking to someone in the know at Verizon, I found out that you are absolutely correct. 

The maximum speed for a MDU ONT that requires VDSL is 20/5.  No matter what Verizon offers in the future regarding speed enhancements, we can not get it until they replace their legacy equipment on our buildings.

Verizon has it in their pipeline to replace their legacy MDU equipment, but they have no ETA.

Unfortunately, we are now at the low end of the FIOS Totem Pole. 

I wish that I had better news to report.

0 Likes
glennauve
Enthusiast - Level 2

Damo, Thanks for the update. It seems that people working for Verizon don't exactly know what is going on. I called the FSC last week and asked this question directly and was told they didn't think there was any technical reason why faster speed wasn't possible.

But what you say makes some sense. So I guess the woman I talked to last week wasn't lying to me after all. 🙂

We have only had FiOS service in my building since late April. So I am not sure about legacy equipment being an issue. However it was a retrofit into a 20 year old highrise condo. So that may be the basis of the limitations. My installer complained about how the system had been installed in the building by the construction team which forced him to go up and down several floors and back and forth between the north and south ends of the building. And then there was no connection between the fibre and my coax cable line so he had to call in some construction crew to make the splice. 

Ultimately they agreed to give me a $10/month discount for a year since I am not getting the speed I signed up for initially. And the difference from my previous internet provider is pretty momentous (old provider was about 1Mbps down/300kbps up) so I can't really complain too much.

0 Likes
damo

In my case, Verizon installed FIOS in my Condo building 2 years ago.  I believe that they installed Tellabs 625 BPON VDSL ONTs on the side of my building to service a possible 14 Units.

The reason that I think that Verizon engineered this solution was that the community told Verizon that there may be some unit owners that might want to use Verizon for Internet and another provider for Television or vise versa.   I was surprised that they did this after a Verizon Representative showed up at one of our Unit owners meeting telling us that they would be installing hardware in our units.  The VDSL ONT technology must have become available to do this between our association approving FIOS for our community (No Brainer) and their deployment.

Since they installed this unit only 2 years ago, I do not hold out much hope that they will upgrade it anytime soon. 

The funny thing is that when I read the Tellabs 625 ONT Specification, it states that it can support VDSL at 60 Mb/s downstream and either 12 Mb/s or 40 Mb/s upstream.  Verizon must have opted for 12 Mb/s upstream and limited individual connections to 5 Mb/s.

0 Likes