W-ifi router scam
sphynn

Has anyone else gotten this?

The email from Verizon promises a "one-time purchase of $59.99 (plus taxes) with free shipping and handling" for a new wi-fi router.

The link charges $99.99 + $9.99 shipping + a MANDATORY package upgrade.  Talk about a cash-grab scam.  After 7 years as a FiOS customer, maybe I should switch to Xfinity? They can't be any less honest, right?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: W-ifi router scam
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Two things ...

1. Make sure you follow the link from the email.   If you go directly to the site and signin, it appears you only see the regular price.   If you follow the link and login, when you arrive at the page you will see the $99.99 regular price, but immediately under that price you'll see in "green" the phrase "special price $59.99".

2. Make sure you're looking at the the Wi-Fi router on the page and not the Network Extender -- which is also $99.99, but not what you're looking for.

Optionally, you can also find the same router online (at your favorite auction or online retailer site) usually for less.  Just make sure it's a Rev I router and not one of the older ones.

View solution in original post

Re: W-ifi router scam
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Two things ...

1. Make sure you follow the link from the email.   If you go directly to the site and signin, it appears you only see the regular price.   If you follow the link and login, when you arrive at the page you will see the $99.99 regular price, but immediately under that price you'll see in "green" the phrase "special price $59.99".

2. Make sure you're looking at the the Wi-Fi router on the page and not the Network Extender -- which is also $99.99, but not what you're looking for.

Optionally, you can also find the same router online (at your favorite auction or online retailer site) usually for less.  Just make sure it's a Rev I router and not one of the older ones.