Was this ONT installation done correctly?
Redfran
Contributor - Level 1

Hello,

I recently had my ONT upgraded by Verizon. I'm concerned with the exposed phone wire connections on the bottom left. My old ONT housed everything in a white box. Nothing exposed. With this new ONT, the phone wires are just hanging out in the breeze. The tech told me that's how it's done now. Is this correct? It seems very vulnerable to me. The unit is in my garage and I'm concerned about humidity and insects (get a lot of spider webs in the nooks and crannies of my garage!)

Was this lazy installation? Is this just fine? Should I be concerned at all?

Thanks for any advice.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Was this ONT installation done correctly?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The picture is in queue for the moderators to inspect before it appears. Will check it out soon.

Redfran
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks, Dexman!

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

The picture hasn't been approved yet. 

You mentioned the ONT is installed in a garage.  If so, that means it's protected from direct exposure to rain, snow and sun.  You don't need an enclosure around the ONT.  Enclosures do nothing for humidity and bugs - they have holes for airflow and cables.  The ONT is designed to operate in outdoor environments, expect for direct exposure to precipitation and sun.  Unless the exposed wires have a lot of exposed bare copper, you're fine.

When the picture gets approved I may have more comments, but I doubt you have anything to worry about.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Looks like the picture was rejected, perhaps because it contained identifying information.  Hopefully the moderators let you know why it was rejected and you can post one without the offending content.

But still, I doubt you've anything to worry about.

Redfran
Contributor - Level 1

Hmm.  I didn't receive any message yet from the moderator as to why the photo was rejected.

I did see there was a barcode on the ONT. So maybe that was why. I'm reposting with that sensitive information removed. Hopefully this one will get through. Thank so much for your help.

imageONT upgrade installation

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The barcode was the culprit.

That is the first stand-alone 211 mounting template that I've seen.

The in-house cabling looks fine. I would just not stack anything high enough to encroach upon the ONT & cabling.

The fiber optic cable looks a bit taught for my taste.

While it likely doesn't impact performance right now, the connector on the Ethernet cable doesn't look good. Re-terminating it somewhere down the road might be worthwhile. 🙂

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

If that's inside your garage, it's perfectly fine.

Redfran
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks for your keen insight.

I'll see if I can add a bit of slack to the fiber cable. And I'll keep an eye on that Ethernet connector.

Redfran
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks @ gsOb.

Yes, it's in the garage. Thanks for weighing in.

I appreciate it.