Re: Which Routers Are MoCA-enabled?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

EOL means no longer no longer supported.  No firmware updates, including security patches.  EOL'd devices will still work, but as time goes on they become a bigger and bigger security risk.

Your choices are:

1. Purchase a used G1100 now to solve your current problem.  Keep it in service until your contract renewal in April, then maybe get a free rental router from VZ.
  2. Purchase a used G1100 now and keep using it for years ignoring the security risk after it goes EOL, as you've done with the ancient Actiontec.
  3. See if you can get a free rental router from VZ now if you switch to a current plan.
  4. Purchase a current, supported non-Verizon router and MoCA adapter now, and don't worry about VZ's equipment.

I recommend 1 or 4.

Note that if you use a non-Verizon router, they, too, go EOL.  You should be checking your router provider's web site for firmware updates on at least an annual basis.  If you don't see new updates in at least 12 months, it's likely they are no longer supporting it and it's time to get a new router or ask their support for a status update.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can still buy the hardware. The hardware won't vanish when it reaches EOL.

End of Life means no more firmware updates including security ones. This means your network will be vulnerable to attacks.

Bleb1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Very helpful.  Thanks so much.

Bleb1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, I bought a coax adapter and negotiated a decent deal with Verizon that includes a free router rental. In the (presumably unlikely) event that the technician has more than one kind in the truck - and I have a choice - which router should I ask for? And is there anything else, in terms of set-up or equipment, that I should make a point of requesting?

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are two routers supplied by Verizon...the G3100 and the CR1000a. The 3100 maxes out at 1G while the CR1000a is suitable for multi-gigabit service. I don't know if the customer can select a specific router.

Bleb1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Any other recommendations before the tech shows up? I assume I should take any (free) wireless extenders they're offering, for instance?

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Nothing that comes to mind. 🙂

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

If they offer a free extender (which is considered a rental despite not incurring a monthly fee), go for it. 🙂

Bleb1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Post-installation update, in case it's of interest (or might be useful to future forum visitors):

1.  Verizon technician installed a CR1000A router (in my basement, connected to the ONT) and an E3200 extender in my attic office, connected by coax.

2.  What I wish I'd known before I bought my own MoCA adapter last week is that the wireless extender Verizon now throws in for free along with its routers also has an ethernet port and functions as an adapter. I'll be returning the adapter I bought.

3.  Theoretically, my top two floors are covered by the extender and my bottom two floors are covered by the router. The tech said I'm on the 5.0 band everywhere. Nevertheless, my laptop and Roku (both of which have 2.4/5.0 receivers), one floor above the router, are getting only ~ 150 Mbps download.  The desktop, connected by ethernet, gets 250+ download, 75-100 upload.  Not sure why the upload speed is so much lower than the promised 300/300 and, more annoying, why the wireless download speed is disappointing.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the desktop has an Intel NIC, some models run into problems when IPv6 is activated. Does this apply to the desktop? 🤔