Why Treats Verizon FIOS new Users so much better than loyal current users?
Angolaroad
Enthusiast - Level 3

We live in a small community in Sussex, Delaware. I even helped Verizon get permission to install FIOS fiber in this County (there was a vote). Was one of the first FIOS customers here. Satisfied, convinced countless others to switch their internet to FIOS. Are satisfied. Recommend it even on our Community website (Bayridgewoods.com). Have currently 50/50 mps triple play plan - works well - speedtest.net shows even slightly better speeds. Have the Gigabit router, use Ethernet wired PCs - WIFI only for cell phone.

Have seen the Verizon ads and get e-mails for the new 800/900 gigabit ads for $79 triple bundle and new neighbors who got FIOS lately (due to my recommendation) got right away 150/150 mps - but I - as a current customer - can't renew my triple play contract (it expires in about 6 wks) at the rates Verizon widely advertises.  

Every other business - especially the airlines - gives their best rates, free upgrades etc to loyal existing customers. Not Verizon.  Why?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Why Treats Verizon FIOS new Users so much better than loyal current users?
jonjones1
Legend

It is a teaser rate to get new customers. All companies raise rates cable is a good example. Sometimes twice or more in one year.

yes the new Gigabyte plan and it's double and triple plays are set cheap.

$70 for internet only, $74.99 for a double play or $79.99 for a triple play plan. Plus taxes and surcharges and fees. Which raise each year but the $60 discount on Gigabyte stays for life.

Customers have read their contracts on start up or non contract customers see exactly what they pay after the 2 years are expired.

You could always cancel your service and come back in 30 days as a new customer or you can have a relative put the service on in your same household but under new customer pricing.

You are not being singled out.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

It is a teaser rate to get new customers. All companies raise rates cable is a good example. Sometimes twice or more in one year.

yes the new Gigabyte plan and it's double and triple plays are set cheap.

$70 for internet only, $74.99 for a double play or $79.99 for a triple play plan. Plus taxes and surcharges and fees. Which raise each year but the $60 discount on Gigabyte stays for life.

Customers have read their contracts on start up or non contract customers see exactly what they pay after the 2 years are expired.

You could always cancel your service and come back in 30 days as a new customer or you can have a relative put the service on in your same household but under new customer pricing.

You are not being singled out.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Service providers (cable, cell phone) and even credit card companies generally give the best deals to new customers. Marketing thought is that once you are a customer, you are less likely to change.

Some people will continually change providers chasing the cheapest deal.

Most people aren't willing to go through the hassle of changing out all their equipment, learning new channels, etc.

Angolaroad
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for prompt and useful reply. I am considering both solutions you suggest: cancelling current contract and signing up with their local competitor Mediacom for a period - then cancel  that. They are offering an amazing $29.99 a month deal (instead of $70 regular - no contract) with speeds up to 100 mps - which would be enough for my use) - but just can't understand Verizon's policy of running such misleading ads - not even adding a note that "these advertised rates are only for NEW users." Jens

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

The company will send new pricing data to you after you quit. 

With these types of promotions it is an assumption the customer will stay past that period.

with folks like me who don't get into contracts and place my need between the teaser price up to the max rate after the discounts come off.  So my paying $103 now and knowing the highest price after discounts will be $138 complete. I find it fair value so I will stay.

if they raise the price above that well I will go back to cable internet. I dropped a voip service over a .33¢ monthly increase. So you have to stick to your scruples to ever be taken seriously.

hope it all works out for you 😀

steve-11
Enthusiast - Level 2

Good question something I've wondered about myself, you can not just cancel a contact w/o some sort of penalty I think. As your time with Verizon grows they should offer a better rate, or at least not increases every month knowing it's Verizon or Comcast the only game in town. Pay the bill or listen to the radio, not a bad idea.

0 Likes
steve-11
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm not following you at all, pretty sure it's me since you have the big title. First isn't there a penalty if you quit? You make it sound easy if you have the time will you clarify that for me? I'm not involved much on here don't really check my Verizon bill just pay it, if I did I'd find a problem to question them and frankly I hate calling them and after waiting so long getting a person I can't understand or knows less than me, that's bad. How is your bill half of mine?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Gee I wish I knew what or to whom you are replying to.

i pay half of what ? I have internet only.

i pay $103 now and after two years I pay $138 total for Gigabyte internet.

you can leave your contract at anytime if you do not have an early termination fee. Not everyone does.

you can leave at anytime if your not in a contract and are month to month with courtesy discounts.

for the rest of your post I just don't understand it. If you have bill issues you can call, chat or postal mail.

0 Likes
palomo1

Do as I do, I always change to uptimum after two years.  Then two years later I go back to Verizon. 

0 Likes