Re: WiFi Extender over COAX? (newbie alert!)
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I haven't run across the adapter so I can't say 👍 or 👎. There may have been some discussion about it here in the forums though. 🤔

Wi-Fi could become a benefit in the remote office down the road, so having that capability is a plus. 🙂

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

FNA is solid and would give you 4 Ethernet ports without wireless.

A used G1100 can give you wireless. Regarding how to put it into bridge mode, I made an interactive guide on the right of the topic page, or scroll all the way down to the bottom on a mobile device.

One limitation here is that coax is capped to 500Mbps. This is a limitation of G1100. If you need full gigabit coax backhaul, you need two FNA or replace G1100 with G3100.

bucky13
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks!  Given the low cost of entry, I guess I'll do the G1100. 

That interactive guide is awesome!  I was thinking I was gonna set it up at home and just take it over and plug it in, but I guess it's gotta be connected to its "master" in order to configure.

And this will inherit the SSIDs/Passwords and act as a mesh of sorts??  

thanks again!  

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Regarding the SSID population, no, it won't automatically populate the SSID fields. You need to configure them manually. I could make a video about that, but G1100 is almost reaching EOL.

@bucky13 wrote:

... to its "master" in order to configure.

I would curb the usage of master/slave in terminology. Calling the first G1100 "master" is both technically incorrect and probably politically incorrect. The first G1100 router is called the router, the second G1100 will be reduced to a link device.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

For descriptors, how about the "main router" & the "remote"? 🤔

bucky13
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, the G1100 came today, and I set it up per the interactive guide while NOT attached to the "Main Router".    I'm pretty sure his Main is set to the default subnet address, so I picked something in that range for the secondary.   I let the SSIDs and passwords stand so if anyone has to figure anything out after me it's all on the sticker.  I was asking about the SSID and password inheriting from the main router because I had a duh moment and thought this was going to set up a mesh.  So now he'll have  distinct "house" and "office" SSIDs and passwords using the info printed on the labels.

So I assume all I have to do is disconnect the coax from his STB, connect that cable to the input of the splitter, connect the two splitter outputs (yep, it's a MOCA capable VZ splitter that came with the "new" G1100)  to the STP and the G1100, plug in the G1100, and connect an ethernet cable between the new Smart TV and one of the LAN ports on the G1100, and everything should be good to go!!  

0 Likes
bucky13
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hmmm, I just noticed this at the conclusion of the interactive guide:

You can now connect an Ethernet cable between a LAN port on the Fios-G1100 and a LAN port on your primary router.

This is a coax input- anything I need to do in the configuration to let that connection be my "uplink" port??

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello bucky13.

If you bridge a G1100 following the Interactive Guide, it won't copy the SSIDs and passwords from the primary G1100. You can configure them to be the same manually by going to wireless settings and set the SSIDs and PSKs to be the same.

Uplink by coax is fine. G1100 should automatically link to the primary G1100 through MoCA LAN if connected through coax. But only choose one uplink method, can't do both Ethernet and MoCA LAN. G1100 does not have Spanning Tree Protocol enabled.

bucky13
Enthusiast - Level 3

So when you say "Choose" only one uplink method- is that in step #3 where I need to select "Broadband Connection (Ethernet/Coax)" instead of "Network (Home/Office)" as it does in the guide?  

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

No. Uplink is simply how you decide to link the secondary G1100 to your existing network. It has nothing to do with configuration in the GUI. You can connect a LAN to LAN Ethernet cable, or a coax to coax using MoCA LAN.