Youtube slow!
rupok93
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have this problem with youtube being slow on fios as long as I can remember, in the last couple of days its has become unbearable, before if i changed the resolution or refreshed the page sometimes the video would load fast but since the other day that doesn't help either. I asked my friend who also has fios and he is experiancing the same problem. Anyone else having similar issues?

My speedtests and everything else is just fine.

Re: Youtube slow!
dapony
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm dealing with the same thing started the other night there is something to do with FIOS and this issue cause my neighbor on comcast doesnt have this recent very bad problem!!!! I would love to hear verizon tell me this is not there issue like i know they will.

dapony
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have to say right now I was getting on youtube speed test 284k download speed and I went right over to my neighbor on comcast (50 feet away) and get 10mb download speed..........So even if comcast drops me a 10 down 4 upload speed connection and it works on youtube alot better it really doesn't matter if I have a 150 down 150 up connection on fios. Youtube is what I do 90% of the time on the net. The more I think about this comcast has fox on-demand,youtube works,and there customer service which is poor but compare it to Verizon and it looks amazing. I'm starting to think why I'm I with Verizon????? Hmm............ gotta sleep on this.

tns
Master - Level 2

Probably a broken or slow connection somewhere between FIOS and Youtube.  Others have some times complained about it although I have never experienced it. 

mike19691
Contributor - Level 1

I am experiencing the exact same thing. Cannot even watch videos in 360p let alone anything higher, without constant buffering. I wish Verizon would address and fix this problem permanently.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Stupid question, but have any of you tried using different DNS servers to see if you get better performance? On some CDN-driven sites, that tends to fix a lot of slow speed issues mysteriously.

mike19691
Contributor - Level 1

That sounds like a good thing to try but I am not quite tech-savvy enough to know how to go about it.Smiley Sad Could you please give a quick explanation as to how to do this and/or what DNS servers to try. Thanks so much!

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I suggest using one of these DNS servers. They are ran by Level3 and Google respectively, but they are public.

Level3:

Google:

To change your DNS settings to see if this solution will solve your problem, choose a computer most frrequently used to view YouTube videos, preferably on an Ethernet connection if possible. From here, visit the Control Panel, and visit the Network Connections section of the control panel. In Windows Vista or Windows 7, this is found inside of the Network and Sharing Center under the name "View Network Connections." From this point, locate the adapter that is used to connect your PC to the network (Local Area Connection or a Wireless Network Adapter) and right click on it. In the Right Click context menu, choose Properties. In the Properties Window, locate an option titled "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" for Windows XP, or "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IP)" for WinVista/Win7, and select that option (do not uncheck it!). Select Properties on that option.

From this point you will be presented with a window asking you how you wish to configure the IP Address for the PC, and the DNS servers. Change the option from Automatically Configure the DNS servers to the Manual Option, and fill in any of the above IP Addresses. I would suggest trying Google's DNS servers first for YouTube, since their DNS servers are taking a part in Google's initiative to make the routes more efficient to cache servers such the ones YouTube uses. Since Google owns YouTube, it's only practical.

Once the DNS servers are filled in, press OK to save the settings, and then OK out of the Adapter settings. To revert the settings you changed, go back to the same place and choose the option to Automatically Assign DNS servers.

From this point, ensure you have cleared your browser cache, and then have closed your browser. From this point, try YouTube and see how streaming works.

mike19691
Contributor - Level 1

Thank you very much for the information! I will definitely give it a try.

mike19691
Contributor - Level 1

Well I tried it, but unfortunately it did not improve the situation. I have noticed that the problem doesn't seem to be as bad during the earier part of the day, and then gets very bad towards the evening and late night-hours. So maybe part of the problem is more people using the site at certain times. However I still think it is also something Verizon needs to work on on their end.