expanding network question
oula_la
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the quantum router connected to my ONT via ethernet.   The router is located in my basement and i would like to expand the network by connecting a second router to it and was wondering if I buy a second MOCA router - could i connect the Quantum to the 2nd MOCA router using the coax port on the quantum router?  

0 Likes
Re: expanding network question
oula_la
Enthusiast - Level 2

just wanted to clarify that i have a tv on another floor that has a terrible wifi connection but does have an ethernet port.   there is also a coax port on the wall behind the tv and i would like to place the second moca router here.... so Quantum Coax/MOCA port -> wall coax line -> 2nd MOCA router -> ethernet port on MOCA router -> ethernet port on TV.   The 2nd MOCA router i found also has an additional ethernet port that I can connect my KODI box too.    

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Don't need another router.

Just purchase a WiFi extender.

Or of you are ok with Ethernet,  a moca adapter.

0 Likes
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I wasn't clear from your description if you are using a Verizon Set-Top-Box (STB) to get shows on your TV or just over the Internet. If there is not STB involved (and it didn't sound like there was, you could likely use the solution I did to get Ethernet available upstairs (my router is in the basement).

I use a pair of Actiontec MoCA 2.0 Ethernet to Coax Adapters (that's two ECB6200 or just get ECB6200K02 if you get the 2 pack). Those are a bit pricey, but everything else in my house is gigabit Ethernet. My own testing shows that I am getting about 700-800 Mbps from one side to the other.

I don't use the MoCA port on the router (in fact, I don't use a Verizon router). Instead, I take run an Ethernet cable from a switch on my LAN to one of the ECB6200s. The ECB6200 in turn is connected to my coax (that runs throughout my house). The second ECB6200 is upstairs connected with a second coax connection. The Ethernet port on the ECB6200 in my case runs into a Roku, but you could run it into your TV. Note that the ECB6200 only has one Ethernet port, so to hook up multiple devices near your TV, you'd need a switch like this Netgear one.

So, for me, it's:

ONT -> router (via Ethernet) -> 8-port Switch -> ECB6200 -> coax ->ECB6200 -> Roku

RMN3
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes you can do exactly that.

If you buy another Fios router on ebay you can bridge it to your current router using Moca over coax cable. This is less expensive than buying a coax adapter (ECB6200) and will give you 3 additional ethernet ports and a wifi access point.

And don't get a wifi extender, they suck.

oula_la
Enthusiast - Level 2

thanks for all the responses!  i actually had an old verizon router (w/ MOCA connection) i *thought* i didn't need anymore!    could have just used that.  shoot.  

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@oula_la - Just a heads up, unless you configure the spare Verizon router correctly you'll probably run into some networking issues.

Follow these steps exactly to turn your old router into a "Bridge":

https://www.justingoetz.net/docs/docs_actiontec/Actiontec_MoCA_Bridge.html

When the router is setup this way, all of the yellow LAN ports bridge to your main network. Do not plug anything into the white WAN port. 

Feel free to post back here if you have any issues! 

0 Likes