fios 25/25 is NOT and has never been 25/25
piki4144
Enthusiast - Level 1

Does anyone else pay for 25/25 and still have slow downloads. Even whe there is only one computer downloading, I am lucky to get over 10Mps consistently. I refuse to pay for a faster plan. I know Verizon has all their disclaimers, but come on! AND thir spell check doesn't recognize 'fios' or 'verizon'...laughable

Re: fios 25/25 is NOT and has never been 25/25
lou611661
Contributor - Level 1

I almost alway get 30/25 all good here.

somegirl
Champion - Level 3

My connection is pretty consistently what I pay for.

Is this a wired or wireless connection you're getting slow speeds on? Have you done any troubleshooting to see where the issue is?

unhappywithvz

the verizon service has been ok until a few weeks ago. After my vacation i called them 2 days ago. After telling them the problem was with a subnet with a 10 megs limit throuput, they still had to go thru their normal questions (are you on wireless? lol). They rebooted the router, upgraded the software, of course nothing. It happens when their tech support is some guy/gal in india that just follows the script and knows nothing about networks, they only know about installing routers.

so yesterday at 7pm i called again. I was told i would get a call until 9pm. They forgot to mention the day, cause i got no call.

so today I used the online chat. First thing the guy wanted was for me to install their spyware (that goes to the net multiples time a day to do whatever just verizon knows) they call home assistant. Of course I refused, i have to know what is running on my computer and verizon (the one that wants to install a spyware toolbar on your browser) is suspicious. So now I'm told they called me yesterday but i didn;t pickup the phone (my cell phone never rung). Now they are going to call me tomorrow. He showed me they called me 9.27am in the morning, that they tested the line and found nothing (what else???).

Tomorrow is my last day of waiting for a solution. Tired of companies that send their support to useless {please keep your posts courteous}talking heads that have no clue of what they are talking about and the only thing they can do is to follow scripts.

0 Likes
DirkDeadeye
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ask to be esclated to level 2.

Unless they don't have a level 2.. I had a hard time convincing the CSR I could use the ethernet jack on my ONT..the terms ONT, Coax, and "tiny nat table on this stupid router" confused him.

ProspectorJess
Enthusiast - Level 1

piki4144 wrote:

Does anyone else pay for 25/25 and still have slow downloads. Even whe there is only one computer downloading, I am lucky to get over 10Mps consistently. I refuse to pay for a faster plan. I know Verizon has all their disclaimers, but come on! AND thir spell check doesn't recognize 'fios' or 'verizon'...laughable

I was thinking this until I discovered the rather hidden "FIOS Speed Test" AND the associated "FIOS Speed Optimizer".

That little piece of network interface optimizing software made my system go from 19-25 down / 1-8 up before then 23-26 down / 22-25 up not bad. You must run it on all your PC's on the same FIOS portal.

Jess

PS. The software is a bit of a pain to operate. It insisted on win explorer 6+ (only - no chrome or firefox) and a fresh install of java with all the right admin privileges (sp Smiley Wink)

Anyway Just Google both of these tools or search within verizon.com, your FIOS Internet performance will thank you Smiley Surprised

Tmac12
Enthusiast - Level 3

i don't enter here that much to read but today i was looking and find this and i have something to say about this post.

i'm paying for the 35/35 and i can't watch any web video greater than 360p like i used to do it with my cable company without any problem, the last 2 time i spoked to a tech support 1 using in home agent and the other one using @verizonsupport on twitter they told me that those website may be are bad or have some problems, that may be my pc is too slow and i told them i don't know how can you tell me that when those website i used to see it with my cable connection and using the same pc.. i also told them that i don't only have one pc but 4.. all of them with very good CPU speed, more than 4 to 8GB of memory with 500GB to 1TB of Hard Disk and 1GB Video Card. the thing that i don't understand is how i was able to watch 480p 720p or 1080p video with my cable connection and unable to do the same using the same pc with verizon fios 35/35? Smiley Mad  Smiley Sad

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Tmac1 wrote:

i don't enter here that much to read but today i was looking and find this and i have something to say about this post.

@i'm paying for the 35/35 and i can't watch any web video greater than 360p like i used to do it with my cable company without any problem, the last 2 time i spoked to a tech support 1 using in home agent and the other one using @verizonsupport on twitter they told me that those website may be are bad or have some problems, that may be my pc is too slow and i told them i don't know how can you tell me that when those website i used to see it with my cable connection and using the same pc.. i also told them that i don't only have one pc but 4.. all of them with very good CPU speed, more than 4 to 8GB of memory with 500GB to 1TB of Hard Disk and 1GB Video Card. the thing that i don't understand is how i was able to watch 480p 720p or 1080p video with my cable connection and unable to do the same using the same pc with verizon fios 35/35? Smiley Mad  Smiley Sad

The question now is, are you able to obtain your connection speed by simply running HTTP or FTP transfers? It sounds like you're talking about YouTube, and quite honestly that site for years has had problems with the occasional slow-down. Lately it's been a bit more regional and ISP specific, but it is to be expected. I find a reload or two of the page and a flip to the wanted video quality can help get you some fast servers.

Looking at http://youtube.com/my_speed , it looks like everyone has been sagging a bit these past few days. The averages have begun to go up a bit, but it looks like the average for my particular IP Block on Verizon have been sinking a bit. I would give a site such as Vimeo a shot. They use Akamai for much of their video caching and I have yet to see a speed issue from their site. Their player is a CPU Eater though (not optimized), so expect it to eat at least one CPU core away while playing a video.

0 Likes
Tmac12
Enthusiast - Level 3

do that include nba.com o mlb.com o vudu.com? i just mention one website but that doesn't mean that i only have problem watching youtube videos

@Smith6612 wrote:

@Tmac1 wrote:

@i'm paying for the 35/35 and i can't watch any web video greater than 360p like i used to do it with my cable company without any problem, the last 2 time i spoked to a tech support 1 using in home agent and the other one using @verizonsupport on twitter they told me that those website may be are bad or have some problems, that may be my pc is too slow and i told them i don't know how can you tell me that when those website i used to see it with my cable connection and using the same pc.. i also told them that i don't only have one pc but 4.. all of them with very good CPU speed, more than 4 to 8GB of memory with 500GB to 1TB of Hard Disk and 1GB Video Card. the thing that i don't understand is how i was able to watch 480p 720p or 1080p video with my cable connection and unable to do the same using the same pc with verizon fios 35/35? Smiley Mad  Smiley Sad

The question now is, are you able to obtain your connection speed by simply running HTTP or FTP transfers? It sounds like you're talking about YouTube, and quite honestly that site for years has had problems with the occasional slow-down. Lately it's been a bit more regional and ISP specific, but it is to be expected. I find a reload or two of the page and a flip to the wanted video quality can help get you some fast servers.

Looking at http://youtube.com/my_speed , it looks like everyone has been sagging a bit these past few days. The averages have begun to go up a bit, but it looks like the average for my particular IP Block on Verizon have been sinking a bit. I would give a site such as Vimeo a shot. They use Akamai for much of their video caching and I have yet to see a speed issue from their site. Their player is a CPU Eater though (not optimized), so expect it to eat at least one CPU core away while playing a video.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I only mentioned YouTube since it's the site people typically complain about when it comes down to slow video streaming. If other sites are very bad to the point where HD streaming is absolutely impossible on a FiOS connection, then for sure something is up. The first part of my post still stands regardless of the site, though. Try running these two tests when you get the chance, and post up the results you obtain. You must enter in your correct connection speed (what you pay for) for the second test to work correctly. If you don't, it will surely fail. If you pay for 25Mbps FiOS, you must enter in 25 into the Mbps box, and then enter in a value such as 30ms into the RTT Form.

The first link is a typical Speedtest performed via an NDT server. The second link is a tool called NPAD. It's real purpose is to analyse how TCP is performing on your PC, though it is capable of identifying issues with data flow related to data loss, for example. NPAD is a pretty nice tool to use as it attempts to max your connection out throughout the test. Both tests must be ran on an Ethernet connection or they may (the second one will) give bad results on a 25Mbps or faster connection.

http://speedtest.verizon.com (Copy and paste these results).

http://npad.iupui.donar.measurement-lab.org:8000/ (this test redirects to a results page. Send me the link to these results).

0 Likes