is 35/35 overkill for a one story house, family of 4?
mikegrice

Hi - I'm scheduled to get fios service next week 35/35 and Extreme HD. Was wondering if 25/25 might be acceptable. It's a one story house, 1600 square feet. Streaming netflix, surfing web on a couple computers, streaming music, etc. 

Just wondering if 35/35 is overkill. We had 15 down from Time Warner in our townhouse and the signal strength dropped about 1/2 from the first floor to the second.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

0 Likes
Re: is 35/35 overkill for a one story house, family of 4?
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I Think you'll dig it, especially if you take advantage of all the multimedia over the net, streaming youtub,e netflix, hulu, hbo online, showtime online, cinemax online, epix online, espn online, online games, droids and iphones connected ipad's, nooks pc's laptops,smart tvs and blu ray players.   

it might be overkill for some families, but mine take advantage of all those things, not including the xbox's and ps3's they have running. 

and yes you could probably get away with 25/25    just depends on your needs.

RMN3
Enthusiast - Level 3
It sounds like you might be confusing wifi signal strength with Internet speed in general. Faster Internet would not give you better or worse wifi signal strength. Having a larger house with more floors does not mean you would need faster Internet, because having faster Internet will not help you download things quicker if your laptop to wireless router connection is the source of the speed bottleneck.

On topic though, I would bet 25/25 would be just fine. You could theoretically watch 8 different Netflix streams with that speed, at the same time. I would definitely go with 25/25 or the 15/5 and upgrade later if it's not enough.

prisaz
Legend

Depending on the special offer, it may be better to get the 35/35 if they are offering a special discount. If you choose to go with a lesser bundle at a later date, there are only termination fees if you delete one of the services. As a new customer you have more bargining power in regards to price. Yes 35/35 may not increase your WiFi speed, but if you have hardwired devices, those hardwired devices should not take all the speed, and Wifi will still have speed available. I dropped back to 25/25 Extreme Bundle from 35/35 Ultimate when a discount expired, and it was a long time before I could find a way to get the speed back without going back to the Ultimate bundle at a higher price. Now I am back to 35/35 Extreme. New bundle option I found with 2 year commitment discount. But remember the commitment is only for the services, and not the level. Unless they change the fine print. I have had FiOS since 2005.