port not opening or forwarding properly
sleepsong

Right now if I go to 192,168.1.9 It shows a webcam. . Now, I want this to be visable from outside the network. In my router I have this forwarding setup:

I would think with that in place, I can go to <router public IP>:50000 and it should show the webcam. It does not. Also, if I telnet to the router's IP on that port, it does not show as open. I have even tried this with other ports. What am I doing wrong?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: port not opening or forwarding properly
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Looks right ot me.   Silly question ... have you checked to insure that the webcam has a default route pointed at the router setup on it?  Should be 192.168.1.1 unless you changed your router's address.   If not, the traffic would be reach the camera but it wouldn't know how to get back.

Without the route, it would work on the local network, but not outside of it.

View solution in original post

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@sleepsong wrote:

Right now if I go to 192,168.1.9 It shows a webcam. . Now, I want this to be visable from outside the network. In my router I have this forwarding setup:

I would think with that in place, I can go to <router public IP>:50000 and it should show the webcam. It does not. Also, if I telnet to the router's IP on that port, it does not show as open. I have even tried this with other ports. What am I doing wrong?

Your picture isn't showing yet however what it should say in port forwarding rules is

192.168.1.9    Destination ports 5000     all broadband devices    active

TCP any -> 5000

Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

A couple things come to mind you might try. I'm not sure if Verizon will allow incoming connections to port 80 (or 443, 25, 21) on residential accounts. Maybe you could try 8880 or something similar. Also, for something like a camera, you might want the rule for both TCP and UDP rather than just TCP.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@sleepsong wrote:

Your PF rule is reversed, should say

192.168.1.9:50000   Destination port 80   TCP Any -> 80

sleepsong

@viafax999 wrote:

@sleepsong wrote:

Your PF rule is reversed, should say

192.168.1.9:50000   Destination port 80   TCP Any -> 80

Are you sure? To be clear... 192.168.1.9:80 is working the way it should (from inside the network). So I want to be outside of the network, go to <public-ip>:50000 and it forwards to  192.168.1.9:80 so I could see the webcam there outside of house.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@sleepsong wrote:

Are you sure? To be clear... 192.168.1.9:80 is working the way it should (from inside the network). So I want to be outside of the network, go to <public-ip>:50000 and it forwards to  192.168.1.9:80 so I could see the webcam there outside of house.

I'm sorry, must of been asleep when I I wrote that.  YES your rule is correct

Have you tried taking port 50000 out of the equation and just open port 80 instead?  

Which model router are you using?

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Looks right ot me.   Silly question ... have you checked to insure that the webcam has a default route pointed at the router setup on it?  Should be 192.168.1.1 unless you changed your router's address.   If not, the traffic would be reach the camera but it wouldn't know how to get back.

Without the route, it would work on the local network, but not outside of it.