About to dump Fios - system won't keep wireless internet
jkm621

Wondering if anyone has been having trouble with wireless connection to router lately. We have, for the past month, have had nothing but trouble with all 4 of our computers (Mac and PC) whereby the connections will remain GREEN on the router and yet our internet connection is dead until the router is reset (sometimes), or (sometimes) you reboot your computer. And because of how Fios is structured, when the internet is dead so too is any VOD services. This is beyond frustrating after hours on the phone with Verizon. Even a new router didn't help, which they finally replaced. Any suggestions would be appreciated as we've now gone to using our Sprint card. Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: About to dump Fios - system won't keep wireless internet
timtaylor73

Boy I feel your pain. We have been experiencing the same problem. Seemed to start the latter part of March.

Glad to know a replacement router didn't help Smiley Sad . I was about to request the same thing.

Hope someone has some suggestions.

Thanks for posting

-Tim

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@jkm621 wrote:

Wondering if anyone has been having trouble with wireless connection to router lately. We have, for the past month, have had nothing but trouble with all 4 of our computers (Mac and PC) whereby the connections will remain GREEN on the router and yet our internet connection is dead until the router is reset (sometimes), or (sometimes) you reboot your computer. And because of how Fios is structured, when the internet is dead so too is any VOD services. This is beyond frustrating after hours on the phone with Verizon. Even a new router didn't help, which they finally replaced. Any suggestions would be appreciated as we've now gone to using our Sprint card. Thanks!

Ok, I'm a little confused about the actual issue here. If the problem is affecting your video service, then it's not a "wireless connection" problem, it's that there's no connection in your router. Do you have any computers that are actually plugged up to the router to troubleshoot with? When you have connection problems, are you stilll able to get to the router's GUI?

If you try to troubleshoot a sync issue via the troubleshooting steps for a wireless issue, you're not very likely to solve it.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Perhaps this is what is going on, small/tiny NAT table of the router?

I point to http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16233

lml999
Enthusiast - Level 2

The following may be helpful. It's officially unsupported, and in fact, a couple of FIOS techs have said that this will not/cannot work, but trust me, it does. 🙂

Get a 10/100 4 port hub. Install it upstream of the ActionTech router. Then get a good small business router, like a 3Com OfficeConnect, and install that off one of the hub ports.The ActionTech will connect to another one of the hub ports. Run your network off the 3Com, and use the ActionTech *only* for video and VOD control. Note -- the 3Com is not connected to the ActionTech, both routers are connected to the hub.

The hub will feed both the ActionTech and the 3Com. You can turn off wireless on the ActionTech, in fact you should, as you'll have two different subnets running, and any connection on the ActionTech won't see resources on the second router.

Using this approach you can enjoy the benefits of a more robust router for your Internet use.

Hope this helps.

quilit3
Enthusiast - Level 1

We had the same problem and it was very frustrating.  My husband just solved it today.  He bought a $40 Netgear router (the G type to match our Verizon router).  He configured the Netgear router which took a long time--about an hour.  Then, as we have Internet jacks throughout our house, he plugged the Netgear router into an Internet jack.  Apparently, this enables the Netgear router to talk to the Verizon router.  Now we have wireless throughout our house, and we are very happy!

Thanks to the posts on this forum.  They saved us the time and trouble of calling Verizon tech support and ordering a new router.  The posts also showed we were not alone with this problem which was reassuring.