Actiontec GT704WBG with Linksys E3200
Venzz1

Verizon recently sent me an Actiontec GT704WGB, since my old modem/router was several years old.  I then upgraded my old Linksys router to a new E3200 model.  My internet speeds seem to be slower than before.  Everything I read online says this Actiontec is an 802b/g.  Is this compatible with my newLinksys  E3200 which is wireless n?  Not sure if the Actiontec is my problem, or just a matter of getting the correct settings. Would I be better off just dumping the Linksys and using the Actiontec?   Please help. Maybe I should mention my plan from Verizon is the "High Speed Extra" which I believe is the highest the offer at my location.

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Actiontec GT704WBG with Linksys E3200
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 I do not know if you changed the LAN IP of either of those two routers

#2 I do not know if you put that modem combo into bridge mode (setup not to handle the public IP).

#3 I don't know if you changed the default password of the modem combo.

--

Assuming the following things (below) are true:

a) You did not put the modem combo into bridge mode.

b) You did not change the LAN IP of your modem combo.

c) You only changed that LAN IP of the RJ-45 WAN port router (the Linksys).

d) You did not change the default password of the modem combo

Then..

#1 Go to 192.168.1.1

#2 Click on Status

#3 Type in admin as the user name and type in password as the password.

#4 Click on DSL Status.

#5 Please post that info that you saw there.

#6 Regardless if those 4 (a to d) things above, are true OR Not:

Now visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace)  might contain a hop with your IP address in it. Remove that line. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

0 Likes