Actiontec replaced with Westel in NY possible?
Tommy76
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is there any way to get an actiontec replaced with the Westel in NY because of the Nat table issues and other reasons

Has anyone in NY, L.I. ever succesfully got an actiontec replaced with a Westel?

0 Likes
Re: Actiontec replaced with Westel in NY possible?
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Is the NAT problem exclusive to the actiontec, I thought it was with westell as well because the GUI was a VZ made one.  I Thought that they had engineered both firmware/software packs with the same nat table.

Anycow, to get the westell it's going to be difficult, unless you get a very knowledgeable Fios support rep, or one of the vz tech's here want to do it for you.  I am pretty sure it's so difficult because their system doesn't let them pick and choose what router you get.   It simply says replace, they hit it and it sends out the same make and model.

I think it's going to be difficult though.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Verizon claims that they cannot determine which router will be sent to you. Basically they have a large pool of router and when shipping a router, the system just grabs the next one in line and sends it to the customer.

However, you may be able to flag down a Verizon Fios tech if you see one in the neighborhood and see if he will exchange it for you if he has one on the truck. They are usually very nice about this.

But I dont think that will do you any good. Both the actiontec and the Westell routers, use the same Verizon software and OS. The only difference between the two are the name on the case and the westell has some extra connections (USB and such) but they are all disabled in the software, so for all intents and purposes, they are the same.

Personally I found it easier to just get myself a Dlink router, that I daisy chained to my Actiontec rotuer. Basically I use the actiontec as a modem and my Dlink as my router. It cost me a little money but was worth it to eliminate all the headaches.

0 Likes
MagneticNorth03

Im having some issues with my Westell router as we speak actually, and i didnt know why.

What is it you guys mean when referring to NAT, because the issue i am having has to do with exactly that.

It says the NAT is set to moderate, but i have all the necessary ports forwarded, so what exactly is the problem with the software you guys keep mentioning?

Also, just one more question, is the USB port on the back disabled?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

The NAT table issue that the gentleman above is referring to (and I am assuming) is the one where the table itself is smaller than other routers, and that means that it gets flooded easily with internet traffic if you are running certain applications, like gaming systems, online games, bittorrent's and other similiar downloads. 

Your issue sounds like a port forwarding issue, and the one thing that I notice that people do a lot is they try to set a "source" value.   If you go into your port forwarding rules and you have a value set for the source, then remove it, and set it to "any" and that will likely resolve your problem.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

the USB port on the back is "hot" meaning it's putting out electricity, but it has no software to run hardware devices.

The best you can do with it is charge a cell phone or an ipod or similiar USB device.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking

this has some good sample config's for the different connections.    look for the one that eliminates the actiontec NAT table while still keeping your VOD and IMG

0 Likes
Tommy76
Enthusiast - Level 2

^^^I know ive read that before...keeping vod and widgets extc would be nice but not needed....My main question to that setup is would multi room dvr still definately work?

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

hmdvr and vod and widgets and the program guide all die if you don't do it correctly.   those features are all tied to one another,  so there is a "Right way" To do all this that will accomplish your goals and retain those features, but it's not one feature at a time, they are all tied to one another.

0 Likes