Re: Anyone else being routed from out of thier state ???
el3ment00
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi guys,

I noticed this issue last night when I did a speed test. The first octet of my IP changed to 74. Looks like this is based in Canada? My ping and traffic speeds are effected because of this routing issue.. I don't dare call verizon because i've just had nightmares with talking to them..

Their service has been solid, until this point. What is the ETA on fixing the routing issue? Thanks

0 Likes
el3ment00
Enthusiast - Level 2
Just release/renew your WAN ip. Gotta renew your DHCP lease.. Think they may have fixed it
0 Likes
metsfan

"Just release/renew your WAN ip. Gotta renew your DHCP lease"

What does this mean? Is this something we can do to fix it?

Thanks!

0 Likes
AKirk

I guess it is good to see that others are having the same problem.  I am in Baltimore MD and all of a sudden have a 74 IP address which says I am from Canada.  This is really very very frustrating.

Has anyone been able to get this resolved.  I spent a good hour on the phone with Verizon a few nights ago and they had me up several layers of support and were helpful, but indicated they needed to have something reset the next business morning and I would either notice it was fixed or they would call me.  Needless to say, it is not fixed and I have not heard back.  It really ruins my day to try calling them again.

0 Likes
Re: Anyone else being routed from out of their state ???
scarletbison

Just to add to this:  I too have had my IP switched from a local (Somerset county, NJ) to alternating between Ottawa Canada and Wichita KS.  At first I was concerned that someone external had hacked by Router and was rerouting my traffic to see it. I first noticed it last week when I went to book tickets on Continental.com and they insisted I was in Canada (and gave me CD $ pricing).  Then Google started rerouting me to Google.CA.  I called Verizon support and spent about 25 minutes with a tech who was baffled by the whole thing (in fact, he claims to have never heard of websites "locating" you by ip address and customizing their content).  He "broke" the lease on the IP address and it still came back.  He had me reset my router twice including a hard reset that required me to reset up all my settings.  Then he said leave the router unplugged overnight.  Which I've done twice and each time I still get a 74.XXX.XXX.XXX IP address based out of Ottawa.

I sure hope they fix this soon, either with the IP database corrections or with routing back to my locale.

0 Likes
Techman28
Master - Level 1
everyone with this problem please do a Tracert to google from your home location and send that to me please
Message Edited by Techman28 on 02-26-2009 08:38 AM
0 Likes
scarletbison

techman28,

Is Tracert something easy to do?  Could you provide a little more direction and I'd be happy to comply...

Googled it and found it based on command prompt,  I'll copy and post in a few minutes

Message Edited by scarletbison on 02-26-2009 06:52 AM
0 Likes
metsfan
I just wanted to add an update. My IP number is still a 74.xxx number, but it seems like Google has updated itself to recognize this number as coming out of NJ, instead of the UK. Sites like Continental, Hulu and Joost have yet to follow. By the way Continental also thinks I am in Canada. This is very strange that some sites thought this number is out of Canada and other the UK.
0 Likes
metsfan

this is still messed up for me. Google has recognized my IP as being in the US- but that is it- most other sites think I am in Canada now.

I've seem posts on here about Tracert and WANip- what does this mean? Any help for a novice would be appreciated. thank you

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@metsfan wrote:

this is still messed up for me. Google has recognized my IP as being in the US- but that is it- most other sites think I am in Canada now.

I've seem posts on here about Tracert and WANip- what does this mean? Any help for a novice would be appreciated. thank you

WAN IP is the Wide Area Network Internet Protocol address that is given to your connection to the internet.

tracert (Trace Route) does just that. Traces the route your connection makes to a location specified.

What Techman28 is looking for is a capture of that information from people that are having issues. It could be a simple as a router with messed up routing tables. But difficult to locate if it is unkown where the traffic is getting redirected. Here is a capture of the one I just ran. I originate in Washington D.C. but traffic goes to Washington state router and then back to D.C. which is strange why it does that.

Note the command tracert google.com

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7000]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\>tracert google.com

Tracing route to google.com [74.125.45.100]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  dmz01.localdomain [192.168.0.1]
  2    14 ms     1 ms     1 ms  10.1.41.90
  3     2 ms     1 ms     1 ms  G2-0-9-892.LCR-08.WASHDC.verizon-gni.net [130.81.110.140]
  4     2 ms     2 ms     2 ms  P14-2.LCR-01.STTLWA.verizon-gni.net [130.81.29.2]
  5     3 ms     3 ms     3 ms  0.so-6-1-0.XL4.IAD8.ALTER.NET [152.63.36.237]
  6     2 ms     3 ms     2 ms  0.ge-7-0-0.BR2.IAD8.ALTER.NET [152.63.41.157]
  7     3 ms     3 ms     2 ms  te-11-2-0.edge1.Washington4.level3.net [4.68.63.165]
  8     3 ms     3 ms     3 ms  ae-2-79.edge1.Washington1.Level3.net [4.68.17.80]
  9     4 ms     4 ms     4 ms  GOOGLE-INC.edge1.Washington1.Level3.net [4.79.231.6]
 10     5 ms     5 ms     5 ms  209.85.130.12
 11   101 ms    53 ms    23 ms  66.249.95.149
 12    20 ms    22 ms    20 ms  72.14.232.215
 13    22 ms    33 ms    34 ms  209.85.253.145
 14    23 ms    21 ms    22 ms  yx-in-f100.google.com [74.125.45.100]

Trace complete.

C:\>

I use a program called Neotrace which provides much more information.

Just ran it for google.com and my traffic went from D.C. to Seattle Washington, back to D.C. then to Sunnyvale California. Go figure. Internet is a small world at speeds we are running.
Message Edited by prisaz on 03-04-2009 05:12 AM
0 Likes