Re: Battery Backup Unit
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ont device itself is 12vdc.

You either have the bbu or an external power supply.

Both plug in to 110v ac and output 12v DC to power the ont itself.

Can't provide a link as it is a PDF and doesn't past well.

But google Alcatel ONT 7432 and you will see the spec sheet.

jonjones1
Legend
  • Well i found this:

https://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/2308880~286c40233f6cdb5a7aab103a9601c2b7/spain_7342_ONT_ETSI....

Page 7 has the power information. Seems we are both correct in our statements.

0 Likes
Tribs

Sorry but I have to disagree with those saying battery is not needed for ONT to function  I suspect it depends on the model ONT three times I’ve taken a battery out charged it put back in, network comes up everything works fine soon as the battery runs out of juice everything goes down.

now it may be the ONT is faulty but it is clearly getting power as  lights are on.  Verizon (on phone) says it was up till battery died then everything is out again.

tech coming out but not for 5 days when I suspect they’ll replace it.  Supposed to be able to plug it in, there is no plug on my ONT so it is going to be interesting to see what they say.  Posting so others don’t think they are crazy.

0 Likes
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I would really like to see a picture of your ONT, battery backup, and whatever else you think is relevant. It may indeed be different for different models. I, myself, have a really old ONT and BBU. I removed the battery from the BBU a couple years ago in favor of just plugging the whole thing into a UPS. The reason being that on battery, the BBU only kept the network up for a few minutes. (The landline phone would keep working for hours - back when I had one.) I can't for the life of me figure out what you have. Makes me really curious.

Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours. 🙂

The first picture is the BBU unit with the AC/DC voltage converter (with the green OK light) just below it. This is in a closet in the basement.

The ONT with the cover open. (This was swapped with an ONT 6100-612) It is mounted outside.

imageTellabs ONT 6100-611

Ignore the gray ONT on the left. It's old and dead. The one on the right (white) is the active one.

imageTwo Network Heads are Better Than One

Fios_User11

I guess Im puzzled. We just had a noreaster and knocked out power for a day. My backup battery (which was on with the green light) did not power my landline, voice services, internet or TV. What is the purpose and how was it suppose to give me backup power?  Does anybody know.....   

0 Likes
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

First off, there at least two main types of BBUs. There are several that use lead-acid rechargeable batteries (with the AC/DC charger included) and are a quite a few different battery backup units as you can see here. Some models of ONTs use a PowerReserve unit that uses D-cells rather than a rechargeable 12V lead-acid battery, which apparently keeps the landline phone going for 24 hours.

The bottom line is how mine behaves (behaved anyway when it had a battery) and the way others behave may not be the same. I have this model (APC). When I had a landline phone, this BBU would keep that going for at least eight hours. As this link mentions, that's all the BBU keeps going. It does not power the Internet or TV. In practice, I found that not to be quite true. The BBU kept the Internet up for at least a few minutes before dropping it. I never checked to see if the TV stuck around for a while, too, since none of the STBs or TVs were/are on UPSs.

If the green light was on, you should have had landline service for at least eight hours. However, this assumes that your local central office (CO) has backup power of some type as well. That is, it doesn't matter if your ONT is up if the other end is down.

philthycoder

For those who might wander into this thread via search, here are the distilled facts about the power supply, battery backup behavior, etc, of the BBU and ONT:

- The ONT itself is powered by 12V DC, which is delivered either via the BBU, which transforms power from an adapter (that adapter itself is transforming 110V to 48V/48 Watts for delivery to the BBU), or a "standalone" adapter which transforms 110V AC household voltage to 12V DC direct to the ONT. There is a poster in this thread who claims that the ONT accepts mains 110V AC, and that is incorrect.

- It is correct that, when mains power is down and the battery is the active power source, the only connection that is maintained is landline telephone service. The MoCA/Ethernet and Video services remain active for <10 minutes once the mains power is disconnected, at which point the ONT disables them, based on a signal from the BBU which tells the ONT that it is on battery backup power. (BTW, this behavior can be hacked, and internet/video can be made to remain connected even when on battery power. Google is your friend)

- If you currently have a BBU and an ONT, and the BBU is connected to the ONT with either a multi-conductor cable or a collection of ~7 loose wires connected between the BBU and ONT with terminal block connectors, you cannot simply delete the BBU from your setup. In addition to acting as a power adapter/battery charger, the BBU is giving the ONT additional information on the power status - namely whether the system is currently running on mains power or battery power - and the ONT behaves differently based on that information (see above bullet point)

- If you have the misfortune of having the 48V-12V transformer in your BBU die late on a Sunday evening, and you work from home (needing to ensure that the internet is going to be working first thing in the morning), you can do the following: (1) Make sure the BBU is unplugged, and the battery is also unplugged from the BBU (2) Swap the blue and gray wires between the BBU and the ONT. If you have loose wires connected to terminal blocks at either end, this is easy. If you have a bundled, multi-conductor cable between BBU and ONT, it does take a bit more work to open up the outer cable sheath, cut the blue and gray wires, and switch/solder/insulate them. It's not much more work though. (3) When you've finished your wire modification between BBU and ONT, plug the battery back into the BBU. This will turn the BBU on, and it will keep internet and video services powered. NOTE - the standard BBU battery is not going to keep everything up and running for more than a day. If you want a more semi-permanent fix until you can get a service tech out to your place to replace the BBU, you can hunt down a 12V ~1A wall wart power adapter, cut the barrel plug off, connect the +/- leads to the corresponding leads on the battery-to-BBU adapter, and plug the battery-to-BBU adapter back into the BBU (sans the battery, of course). When combined with the above-mentioned blue/gray wire swap modification, this fix will keep you up and running with all services, indefinitely.

0 Likes
DIY-Doc

The battery backup unit (BBU ) is only for the Verizon Optical Network Terminal (ONT) for about 8 hours. The ONT supplies the internet SIGNAL to your home devices such as router and TVs., but not the AC power for those devices.  You still need to supply your own backup AC power for the other devices to work and use the signal from the ONT (router, TVs and other WiFi devices).

0 Likes