Bridged routers. Why?
pova1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I recently subscribed to verizon. I have a package that includes 35/35 internet speed. The verizon supplied router only shows speeds between 8 and 12 mbps download. I was told that I have to use the verizon router to get some of the options for tv, like on demand. But when i bridge the verizon router with my personnel router I get the speeds I expect to be getting and sometimes better. What gives? I am by no means computer savy. Just know the basics. Any ideas?

Re: Bridged routers. Why?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you measuring the speed on a wired or a Wireless connection? What devices are connected to the ActionTec when it is not bridged? Do you by any chance have Parental Controls enabled in the router?

pova1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm speed testing wireless on both routers. No parental controls. The only other device connected is PS3, and that is not powered on during testing.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try testing Ethernet with only the ActionTec configured. The fact that you have the 35Mbps package is one thing. What model router you have (if you can tell us, please) besides the ActionTec is another thing. There's also that typical issue of Interference and Signal quality that would determine the speeds you're getting wirelessly.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

This could have less to do with the router and FiOS and more to do with the quality of the wireless connectivity.  First try what was suggested using a wired connection and see the results -- that should give you a solid (and possibly even faster) test speed.  If that works, try turning off the wireless on the Verizon router and place your router behind the Verizon router (connected WAN to LAN) and then connect to your router.   If the speeds are good, then the best configuration for you will be to reconfigure your router to use LAN to LAN mode and run basically as a wireless access point -- the issue you are having is with the quality of the wireless signal.

You need the Verizon router because it's a bridge between the wireless, wired, and Coax (MoCA -- ethernet over Coax) network.   The latter is used by the STB's to allow them to get guide data, on demand, etc. via your internet connection.

0 Likes