Can I have two wifi networks with the FIOS modem?
abcdefghij1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have an Actiontec modem. I don't use its wifi but instead use an Apple Airport connected to one of the ethernet ports on the modem. For security reasons, I would not want some wifi devices to use the Airport network. I tried setting up a guest Airport network but was unsuccessful and/or it involved reconfiguring the FIOS modem beyond what I would be confident doing. I had also been told that turning on the FIOS wifi would be problematic.

So I was wondering about attaching a separate wifi router to another one of the FIOS ethernet ports, with its own password. Would that even work and if so, would it create an independent wifi network such that if it were hacked it would not provide access to my existing Airport network?

Thanks, and I am not very knowledgeable about networking so please keep the jargon to a minimum.

0 Likes
Re: Can I have two wifi networks with the FIOS modem?
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

One, there are no FIOS modem's.  They are Routers.

Two, the newer "Greenwave" routers have two (and three) wifi networks.

Three, the older "Actiontecs" have only one WiFi network

0 Likes
abcdefghij1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks. And by "Greenwave" I assume you are refering to the Quantum Gateway. So with that I could have the Apple Airport on one ethernet output and create a separate, completely independent wifi network using the Greenwave (without the need of a separate wifi router)? Is this easily done? Do you have a link to a reference that might elaborate on how to do it?

(and I've seen the Actiontec that I have refered to as a modem/router which is why I used the term modem)

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios?

From the DSL Reports link above.

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/12506

It is really easy to put your router into access point mode. (AP)

follow the directions from your Apple device to set it up if possible.

Good Luck

0 Likes