Can't Get FOSCAM webcam to connect via wireless
tarkus602
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello. I have tried for a full week now to get my FOSCAM FI8918W to connect to router via wireless. It works fine with Ethernet. As suggested in router instructions, I unchecked OBTAIN IP FROM DHCP SERVER and included IP address, Gateway, and DNS Server in my Basic Network Settings. Theoretically, when you boot the cam, you are supposed to unplug ethernet and cam will connect to router. It's not working. This cam is going to be used above my baby's crib so we can check her periodically when she's sleeping. I am so close, yet so far.

Re: Can't Get FOSCAM webcam to connect via wireless
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I assume that you have configured the camera to connect to your FiOS router correctly, right? it needs to be pointing to the correct SSID, and it should also be configured correctly with your WEP key. That information can be found on the underside of your router on a sticker, if you don't know how to connect to it. Failing the verify that your connection settings are correct, I would try switching the FiOS router to WPA2 from WEP security. There seems to be some issues with newer devices regarding WEP Security that prevent the devices from communicating. It's been happening a bit with Blu-Ray devices it seems, but this is no exception.

If you need help on getting the router switched over from WEP to WPA2, just let us know.

0 Likes
betourne1
Enthusiast - Level 2

The Quick installation Guide is a joke.  When you read the first step of the instructions and it says, "Unwrap the package"  it goes down from there.  Instead, go to the FOSCAM web site, Support page where the technical instructions for dealing with the camera and your router are better explained.  You will have to go into your router's settings.  One additional step I forund that helped install the camera wirelessly was to turn off WEP then go through the connection process then turn it back on and reset the camera's settings to your security code.

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have a FOSCAM and it works with FiOS just fine ... but it does have issues connecting via WEP.  You'll need to convert your network over to use WPA or WPA2.   Also, have you used this camera on wireless previously?  If not, it could be the camera.  My first camera that I received would not connect at all but worked fine via ethernet.  After trying it with several other wireless access points, I came to figure out that the firmware for the wireless in the camera is a piece of crap.   I filed a claim of DOA with the company I purchased it from and they swapped it out for another unit which then worked just fine.

0 Likes