Connection speed on Wireless Network Connection
xmarine503
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the 50/25 package that I have no problems with on my wired computer. The speed tests always show a little better than the 50/25 speeds that I am offered. However, on my second computer with a Wireless Network Connection, my speeds have been cut in half showing maybe a 25 upload speed, and an 18 download speed. Is this something that is considered normal, or, should I start looking for connection issues ? I'm new to Verizon, and need a little advise if anyone can help ?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Connection speed on Wireless Network Connection
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Verizon FIOS does offer an upgrade (for a fee of course) to an 802.11N router.  This will give you the speeds on wireless LAN.  If you do a lot of local network stuff (music, access lots of files, etc) you may benefit from the upgrade to 802.11N. If all you are doing is surfing the internet then you would probably not notice much of a difference.

Jim

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What router and revision of router did Verizon supply you with? Also, what wireless card does your computer use? The speeds you're running at suggest you've got a Wireless G connection.

jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

What you are seeing is normal with wireless LAN regardless of what wireless LAN router you have.  Even though your connection on wireless may say 54 meg, there is overhead and other factors that will drop the real speed of wireless LAN from 54 meg to an average of 22 meg.  The only way around this is to buy an 802.11N wireless LAN router/AP. 

Jim

xmarine503
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

Looks like it's the M1424WR Router, and a Linksys / Cisco AE1200 Wireless N USB Adapter.

0 Likes
xmarine503
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you !

I can't really say that I am having problems with these speeds...I was only curious 🙂

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Verizon FIOS does offer an upgrade (for a fee of course) to an 802.11N router.  This will give you the speeds on wireless LAN.  If you do a lot of local network stuff (music, access lots of files, etc) you may benefit from the upgrade to 802.11N. If all you are doing is surfing the internet then you would probably not notice much of a difference.

Jim

xmarine503
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you Jim !

Like I mentioned earlier, I am new to Verizon and needed to explore a few options.

I have to admit, I like it better than Comcast which I had for years !!

Thanks again

John

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Good thing you switched.  I heard Comcast wants to charge a fee if you go over a specified amount of data usage, similar to the way VZ Wireless and ATT Wireless does.  Comcast is testing this in certain areas and if successful may roll it out across the board.

xmarine503
Enthusiast - Level 2

Trust me....I'm glad that I did !

In the past three months, my Comcast bill increased by $30 to where it was just under $300. There were no changes in service, nothing was added by myself, speeds remained the same, etc. Funny thing though...when I called to cancel their service, they said that they could have dropped my billing to $203 a month. When I asked why they were overcharging me for all of these years, the phone call was disconnected ! Imagine that !

0 Likes
brk2

Where are you finding this "upgrade"?  I have been making an annual call to Verizon for several years requesting this and have only been told they are working on it.

0 Likes