Re: Convert ethernet to coax
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

If that's the case, I would recommend a cheaper setup than two standalone MoCA Ethernet bridges. First, replace your MI424 with a used G1100 from Ebay for less than $40. Make sure you are purchasing a one with Verizon firmware and from a seller that has a good return policy.  Put the G1100 next to your ONT with its WiFi turned off and connected it to the ONT with Ethernet. Connect a coaxial cable from the G1100 at the ONT because G1100 has a built-in MoCA Ethernet bridge capped at 500Mbps. Second, buy a MoCA Ethernet bridge from goCoax. At this time, I only recommend the MA2500D model, which can be found here https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08XP8MMFG/ref=twister_B09DFNP17D?_encoding=UTF8&th=1 costing $74. Verizon also has an equivalent of this adapter with 3 more Ethernet ports costing $99 with free shipping. They both works and you can choose either depends on your needs. Place the MoCA adapter at where your mesh main node is located, with its one end connected to coax and the other end connected to the mesh node Ethernet.

Notice: due to the older chips in G1100, this setup would only deliver a throughput of 500Mbps, if you need gigabit or multigigabit throughput, a G3100 is highly recommended.

cc112
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you! That all make sense. It is a really tight space in that closet where ONT is at. I will see if I can get a legit G1100 and fit it in there.

Otherwise, would another MoCA adapter such as the one you recommend work, replacing the G1100 from the flow. I was thinking take out Verizon router completely, and just use Orbi mesh system as the router.

Any particular reason you recommended the MA2500D model instead of the 2 pack option?

Kudos to you and thank you again.

OR I just thought of another way and wondering if this would work. Only if there is benefit to keep a verizon router in the flow otherwise if 2 MoAC adapter works, then it saves more space: ONT > ethernet > MoAC adapter > COAX in the wall > COAX cable into verizion router (wifi off) > ethernet to Orbi mesh system.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

A MoCA adapter can replace the G1100. But be aware that MoCA adapters are meant to be operated on the LAN side. If you were to put them on the WAN side, you need to disable their DHCP clients from pulling a WAN IP address.

Why I recommend MA2500D over ECB6200 is due to two reasons. First, the chipsets in ECB6200 are end of life. Second, they are field tested to be found not compatible with newer MoCA standards. If they were going to break, you need to replace both, they cannot mix and match with other brands.

cc112
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you! Do you mind elaborate what does following mean "If you were to put them on the WAN side, you need to disable their DHCP clients from pulling a WAN IP address." I thought they will be plug and go, didnt realized there is more to it. 

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Sorry for the silence, I was caught with work. Some MoCA adapters come with a web interface that allows you to login and adjust some settings. To access its web interface, the adapter needs to have an IP address. Sometimes the adapter is preconfigured to self-assign an IP address that is well out of the normal private IPv4 address range and the publicly routable address range. If this is the case (the majority of MoCA adapters are the case), you are all set and can treat these MoCA adapters as plug and play devices. If the adapters are preconfigured to use DHCP to obtain an IP address from a DHCP server, then the adapter on the WAN side would inadvertently pull a publicly routable address from Verizon DHCP server. You want to avoid this scenario because VZ DHCP server would only assign one IP address per residential service account. Given the adapter occupies the single WAN IP address, your router cannot obtain another routable IP.

Although what I just said is rather complicated, the take home message is that the majority of MoCA adapters are plug and play but some configurations may be required in limited circumstances. In addition, you want to make sure the coax line from the ONT to your router is a dedicated coax line. If there are splitters on the way, they have to be MoCA compatible, that is to have a frequency passthrough of at least 1675 MHz. If the coax line is shared with other neighbors who are subscribing to cable services, that would be another concern as certain cable standards interfere with MoCA.