DSL High Speed Area Limitations?
veltzbest16
Hi, I recently attempted to upgrade my current DSL speed from 1.5Mbps for Download, and 384kbps for Upload to DL:3mbps/UL:768kbps. However, as I spoke to representative on the phone they responded that our current connection is the highest in the area, meaning we can't get a faster connection than what we have. My question is how is that possible when other plans are available, and will we never be able to upgrade to a faster connection?
0 Likes
Re: DSL High Speed Area Limitations?
mattheww50
Contributor - Level 2

The performance of DSL is very sensitive to both the distance (as the cable travels, not as the crow flies) between your home and the CO. It is also sensitive to the quality of the copper pair. That connects you. Very simply, you are probably too far from the CO to go any faster than the service you have.

The only service that seems to be insensitive to distance or line quality is FiOS.

I upgraded for 3mbs DSL, and never really got it, especially in bad weather. In addition, if I could hear thunder, my DSL service was down. The problem was the quality of the copper pair and the distance from the CO. My permanent fix was to become a FiOS customer. I don't have to worry about either Thunder or rain any longer.

0 Likes
Re: DSL High Speed Area Limitations?
internet784

I have same issue since I upgraded they dont have any other plan to offer me. They have all nice plans for new customers. Even my neighbour just started with verizon he is getting 3mbps in $ 19.99 per month but when  I called them they say you can not get because you are too far from our CO office and I have to pay $29.99 for 1.5 mbps. My neighbour and me live in same apartment and he is next to me. I dont understand how they working to get customer best internet speed.

0 Likes