DSL = Only A Dream Where I Live
highwaystar50
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'll make this brief as my connection will probably fail in the next 2 minutes. I don't know if anyone from Verizon actually

reads these posts but if so, I hope they take them to heart.

I've "had" DSL for several years. I say "had" because it has only worked a few hours a day for all that time and I know that

I'm not getting my money's worth. Most of the time my connection "blazes" along at barely dial up speed.

I'm amazed at all the advertising for wireless phone service and FIOS and such when all I'd like is decent DSL service.

But its only a dream.

As I said, I only get DSL service a fraction of the time when I actually need it, like when I'm home. I have a Westell 6100

modem. I don't know if they are any good or not. When I call service they put you through the same crap even though they

know that you have had a connection before. After they finally run a line check and proclaim it good, my connection is okay for a week or so. I

find that even when I have a connection, it gets slow after a while. I have to power down the modem and disconnect the phone

line for a few minutes. After powering the modem up, if and when I get a connection, it's okay for a while. Sometimes I have to get out

of Internet Explorer and then get back into it before my connection speed goes back to "normal." Again, "normal" for me is sometimes

barely better than dial up.

Here's the deal: We have crappy wires in this town. I've spoken to linemen occassionally when they need to climb the pole

in my back yard. They say that DSL service really isn't very good here and that it won't get any better until they put fiber in.

That will be in a year or two. Meanwhile, Verizon sells DSL service and are happy to take your money all the while giving

you hardly anything for that money. Is that fair?

Ah, my connection just went down. I guess it'll be a while before I can actually send this post. Okay, my connection is

back. It took me 15 minutes to write this post and wait for my connection to return. Anyone think that's a good deal??

Karl

Edit: It took another 10 minutes for this post to actually get through. Nice!

Message Edited by highwaystar50 on 12-02-2008 09:42 AM
0 Likes
Re: DSL = Only A Dream Where I Live
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
Please post your modem stats.

Just an educated guess as to where http://192.168.1.1/transtat.htm

Please note: If the LAN IP of the router is not 192.168.1.1, please enter in that LAN IP ( For example 192.168.2.1 )
0 Likes
highwaystar50
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was unable to log into the web address you posted  I used my admin account name and password but no dice. An ipconfig displays the correct 192.168.1.1 for the default gateway address. I also went to a site that tests your connection and shows

how many hops your connection makes and my connection tests good except for a 10% packet loss which is indicitive of problems (their words). My connection hops from Los Angeles to Reston Virginia which I'm sure is very efficient but it was

within spec I suppose. Anything else I can try?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
Ok, we will try this a different way.

Take and post a screen shot of the first screen that you see, after you log-in to the router.

If you do not know how to, see as need be:

Full URL of thread: http://forum.portforward.com/YaBB.cgi?num=1161783796

Title/Location info: Portforward.com > Forum › Knowledge Base › How to take and post screenshots.

-- And I tend to use http://tinypic.com/ to host the images...
0 Likes
highwaystar50
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, I know how to do all that. What I couldn't do was log onto the first site you listed in your first reply as it wouldn't take my admin name and password. That's why I gave the other information. If I have to "log on" to the router (if that's what your original instructions were for), I'm not going

to have much luck with that. Is there another way I can go about doing this - like maybe from the C: prompt?

KS

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
Ok..

Name="admin"

Password="password1"

--

If none of the passwords work just hold in the reset button on the back for 10-15 seconds. When the router reboots the user name is admin and the password is password.
0 Likes
highwaystar50
Enthusiast - Level 2

I managed to "fix" my problem by unplugging the phone and the DirecTV receiver from the wall plug. I have a neighbor who said their problem was fixed by removing the filters but that didn't work for me. This did and there's probably a way to make a work around but I don't get too many calls on my landline anyway so no big deal and I suspect that Verizon won't come out and rewire my house for free anyway.

It's just a shame that we spend so much money on so little support. I'm still going to look into one of those USB satellite gizmos if I can muster up the will to cancel my AOL service.

Karl

0 Likes