Re: DSL is (still) too slow
dclineCSTX
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK, I think I get what you are saying.  I'll take a closer look at the jacks and keep the rest of your comments handy just in case.  I appreciate the detailed explanations.

Thanks!

dclineCSTX
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm pretty sure that CAT3 was installed when we built the house (1994).

dclineCSTX
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi again. I hope you can respond to this also.

Your suggestion about using a splitter at the NID outside inspired me to remember that (at least) some rooms were wired for a second phone line.  We never used it but it seems like it could be applied to your solution.

I assume the line gets connected similarly to the one we use.  Right now the Red wire on the 2nd (unused) line is spliced to the Yellow on the 1st line while Green is spliced to Black.  Its Yellow and Black are left free, and the Red and Green of the 1st line are connected to the NID.

Which brings up another question: what are Yellow and Black for?

Thanks.

dclineCSTX
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, duh ...  I knew the answer to that last question.  The Y-B pair is for a 2nd phone line.  The second cable was installed in case something needed 4 wires.  (and, actually, each wire is itself a twisted pair, I think.)

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't think I have evern see a cable where each cable itself is a twisted pair. A wire pair is needed to twist the cables around each other in order to reduce the amount of noise coming in from the wiring, since even on non-twisted pairs of cabling, if you were to leave just one of the two wires disconnected, you'd find that while DSL will continue to work, if the cabling is running near electrical wiring or anything creating electrical interference, you will have a nice, noticable humming on your line 🙂 . In older phone setups, I also believe the additional wiring pair was used to power older phones. In this case, the second pair exists simply to serve as a route for a second phone line or for spare/misc use.

As far as connecting the wiring, that should work, but you want to ensure that the second wiring pair is only connected from the POTS/DSL Splitter up to the jack where the modem is connected to using the inner wiring pair at the jack. You don't want Multi-line phones on that second pair since it defeats the purpose of the filter.

As far as CAT3 cabling goes, CAT3 is indicated by using Orange/Striped Orange and Blue/Striped Blue Wiring pairs. If you have the traditional Red, Green, Yellow and Black cabling, it's probably the standard, non-twisted telephone wiring. You can verify what kind of cabling it is though by looking at the information provided on the cable jacket, should you have extra wiring around or a long enough stretch available.

0 Likes
dclineCSTX
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hmmm .... I guess I knew less than I thought.

I'll look into the splitter. We've been operating at 416 to 512 kbps the last several days; that's at least a little better than before.

I do appreciate your help! 

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's not a problem. Keep us in the loop as to how things go 🙂

0 Likes
jentink
Enthusiast - Level 3

Does anyone see the connection between July and all the "dsl slow" posts? I have been consistently getting 2600kbps  or higher on my 3000kbps account for a couple of years. All of a sudden on July 18th, I go down to 50 kbps, ranging up to 250kbps or so. 

Seems to me there is definitely something going on with their end. I had a technician come by on 7/23. He checked everything and verified the lines and connection in the house were fine (house is post 1999, so all cat3). The old westell 2100 was questionable, so he gave me a new 6100. He tested the connection, said it was working, and left.

I checked the speed and it was still in the sub 300 kbps. I called him back and he reset something on his end and said it should be fixed. Now I'm getting 500 kbps, nothing higher. 

Seems too coincidental.... Hoping for a fix soon. Been over a week.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you created your own topic here for help? I can take a look into the problem for you if you can do that, just so we aren't hijacking another person's thread. 🙂

0 Likes