Device speed vs router speed
Fiosuser0527

When running the Verizon speed test, my device speed is 13 dl/63 ul and router speed 945 dl/909 ul. I am sitting about 3 feet from the router when I run the test. My plan is the fastest speed. What could be the reason the device test is slow? Thanks in advance. 

0 Likes
Re: Device speed vs router speed
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

I assume you are testing device to speedtest.verizon.net?

And you are wireless?

Can you hardwire device to Verizon router to run test?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Fiosuser0527 wrote:

When running the Verizon speed test, my device speed is 13 dl/63 ul and router speed 945 dl/909 ul. I am sitting about 3 feet from the router when I run the test. My plan is the fastest speed. What could be the reason the device test is slow? Thanks in advance. 

Device speed will never be as fast as server to router (home) due to factors like WiFi or nic cards in your device cannot or will not handle those speeds. There are also other limitations such as processor speeds and ram and cables to the router, type of device which may have limitations like type of hard drive etc.

i use a top of the line intel 7 chip, ssd hard drive, 16 gb of ram, top of the line graphics, and my WiFi handles ac/g/b/n and on a direct connection 940/800+ but around 700/700 over WiFi (this is my best device) However I use mostly apple iPads and my speeds under wireless are half that listed above.

0 Likes
jigabyte

Was this ever resolved? I have the same exact problem. My router has 950up/950down but my device runs 80up/90down. I am NOT using WIFI. My computer is connected via cat5e cable directly into router. 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Device speeds will vary. Depending on device and if the device is connected via direct ethernet as you state, it could be a bad cable or bad device or you have to update your computers drivers.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jigabyte wrote:

Was this ever resolved? I have the same exact problem. My router has 950up/950down but my device runs 80up/90down. I am NOT using WIFI. My computer is connected via cat5e cable directly into router. 

Is your Ethernet port Gigabit Ethernet capable? Speeds like that suggest it supports "Fast Ethernet" or 100Mbps Ethernet.

0 Likes