Re: Digital Direct Marketing Program
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ImNotDave wrote:

I am not going to installyet anotehr piece of software to keep VZ from spamming me.

The only software needed is your already functioning web browser.

0 Likes
OmitLivonia

Thanks so much for explaining so well the exact problems I also had with Verizon's recent email to me about sending Digital Marketing ads. In short - they wanted to SPAM me with ads and their 'opt-out' option (CLICK HERE) in the email they sent just forwards you to their idiot website without any sane or rational way to 'opt-out' of this so-called 'service'.  There is no 'opt-out' option. It's fantasy. 

Possible solution:  I brought in my latest phone/internet bill (paper) and had all my acct #s, secret-code-ring Verizon codes etc. so I might get somewhere with them. Anger was also a fiery/fun fuel to keep me going in this 45-minute long endeavor in phone-tree hell and their 'Sharing' software. Anyway: Armed with my last bill and their 1-800-837-4966 'Customer Service' number I called.

1. Phone tree -hell. Of course you will get Phone-Tree-Hell.  After going thru 10 minutes of phone-tree-hell I hung up in frustration, had a smoke outside, came back and tried again.  They want you to give up. Don't.

2. The 2nd time I hit the phone tree hell button for 'Email Services' (since I got this thru email) went thru some more hell and hit the button for 'other' . I listened to some muzak for about 5 minutes and then I got a HUMAN.

3. Of course, the human was from Hyderabad, India (Verizon's subcontractor for 'services') and he turned out to be very helpful and his English was OK - so not too much was 'lost-in-translation.'

4. I explained the problem and at first it was not clear to either of us.  I did  not realize that I have a 'separate Verizon email account on Verizon's Home Page' because I never go there. There were 4 years of old emails (junk/spam from Verizon) that I've never seen before because I never go there - why would I or anyone?.

5. I clarified with the man from Hyderabad that this latest email from Verizon was on my regular email account, not my Verizon email account.

6. I had to give him my phone number and work number (from where I was calling) and my non-Verizon email address.

7. We went onto (via FireFox) something called - www.verizon.net/sharing. We waited 5 more minutes and it wouldn't come up.  He finally asked what service I was on and I told him FireFox.  He made me go on Internut Explorer. It worked on that.

8. The 'sharing' program allowed him to access my computer and my email directly from India. He left a little box that I could X-out (in the lower-right hand corner of my desktop) in case I felt uncomfortable at any time or if I felt e-violated at all. That would stop all access by him to my email and computer immediately if I hit the X.  Of course, it would have ended any help as well.  At this point I was so frustrated I decided to 'trust' him and go with it. 

9. He went into my 'Account Settings' and did something (not sure what). That didn't seem to accomplish much so he went into 'Task Manager' and did something else. 

10. We went back to Verizon's website - went to some email settings tab and he told it to not send me any ad/Spam/Verizon stuff to my non-Verizon email. 

11. I did ask him why this was so hard/insane when other websites give you a simple process for 'unsubscribing' or 'opting--out'. He laughed. I laughed/ I cried. We both agreed it was insane. I thanked him for his help.

12. As you can prolly tell by now, I am not a 'techie'. I had to 'trust' that he was not an 'e-pirate' or super-spy and that my head won't explode or that I won't spontaneously combust later today.  And that's all he wrote. Hope this was somewhat helpful and will shorten (somewhat) you're encounter with Verizon's infamous Customer Service. Great to be a monopoly, eh?     Omit Livonia... 

0 Likes
Ajnira
Enthusiast - Level 1

That link to opt out of digital direct marketing on the Welcom to Fios email goes nowhere, and a search on the site comes up with NO results. This is outrageous.

0 Likes
lilpoop

Me too.   Technicly, it may not be "spam" (spam = unwanted emails), but "ads while browsing the internet" hardly seems better.

Love how the "click here" link took me on a 35 minute waste of time.  Stupid me, it took me that long to realize that there is no place to decline to participate.

0 Likes