Re: Internet connection takes a while to initialize after PC booting/waking
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

You are the 10th (almost) customers that have brought up this issue. I am going to see if I can replicate this issue on my E3200.

OliverPgh
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having the same issues.

I have two E3200 connected via coax to the router. One has an LG C1 TV and an XBox Series X connected via ethernet. The other one has two Windows 10 PCs hardwired to it. All four devices on both extenders take about a minute to connect via ethernet. Wifi does not have that problem.

I used to have the WCB6200Q extenders and did not have that issues. This started when I upgraded to the E3200.

IPv6 is disabled and I have already factory reset the extenders and router according to support suggestions. 

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hello all,

I finally got some time to replicate the setup in my mini "Fios lab," and guess what, I am seeing the same issue on my Mac M1 laptop. At this point, I can fairly confident rule out Windows 11 OS or a driver issue.

Some intro to my Fios test network. I am using a Cisco managed switch as the DHCP server, uplinked to G3100 via Ethernet. A G1100 and E3200 are uplinked to G3100 via MoCA LAN. Test network contains other VZ devices not important to the DHCP test.

To have a base line of comparison, I first tested DHCP response time on a port on the same Cisco switch.

imageCisco switch port

The time between the first DHCP Discover and DHCP Offer is less 1/100th of a second. This suggests my DHCP server is very responsive.

Then, I tested with G1100, the BHR4, from one of its LAN ports.

imageG1100 LAN port

The time between the first DHCP Discover and DHCP Offer is around 3 seconds. Okay, not bad. MoCA should only introduce a 3ms delay, so some other things are contributing to this delay.

Then, I tested with G3100, the BHR5, from one of its LAN ports.

imageG3100 LAN port

The time between the first DHCP Discover and DHCP Offer is around 12 seconds. This is quite long.

Proceeding to E3200, the official extender of G3100 and CR1000A.

imageE3200 LAN port

55 seconds! This is consistent with other customers' observations. In the same Wireshark capture, I do see some abnormalities. E3200 has a secondary logical network interface, likely a macvlan (MAC address based Virtual LAN port), that is constantly polling the DHCP server for an IP address, but the DHCP server doesn't attend to the request. E3200 is also sending Spanning Tree messages to G3100 very frequently. I am wondering some redundant link prevention mechanism may block the broadcast DHCP Discover message. Given the DHCP delay is somewhat confirmed, I will get in contact with engineering.

OliverPgh
Enthusiast - Level 2

Did you get in contact with engineering yet? Any response (or ticket #) yet? Thanks for the thorough analysis and for confirming the issues.

0 Likes
rld20211
Enthusiast - Level 3

Any update to this.  i am having the same exact issue but it is causing the same delay on all my household computers.  i have a computer hooked up to the e3200 and there is a connection delay. i have a computer hooked direct to the router and it also has a connection delay when waking up. I see Verizon sells network adpators--a black on that says MoCA 2.0 and a white one that says MoCA 2.5.  which one would i use that is compatible with the G3100?  This way i can remove the E3200 completely until resolved  

0 Likes
OliverPgh
Enthusiast - Level 2

Checking in again - any updates on this? Any response from engineering?
Or a ticket number for this issue?

0 Likes
rld20211
Enthusiast - Level 3

i did my own investigation since no response from Verizon.  after testing my system with network adaptors ($99 and the $55 styles), the router and the extender. Basically, anything hard wired to extender will cause a connection delay of around 55 second when a computer is waking up or TV is shut off.  If you use the Verizon $99 network adaptor instead, you will have around 7 second delay.  Not sure why the extender designed for use with the 3200 router is causing this delay but it is definitely the problem.  Unplug it the extender from the network, put your computer to sleep and then wake it up and you will see the delay is around 7 seconds when waking up your computer.   Then plug back into the extender and the delay connection is 55 seconds.  

0 Likes
Re: E3200 FIOS Extender - ethernet delay
hgoptics

Just wanted to mention, I am having the same issue while having an ethernet connection to the extender.

0 Likes
OliverPgh
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's been over a month since Cang_Household  mentioned he'd contact engineering about his findings. It seems like nothing is going to happen in this case. It looks like the only two solutions to work around this defect would be to either resort to Wifi instead of Ethernet (not great) or use a separate MoCa converter (unnecessary cost). Alternatively, we could live with the delay. It's very annoying, but at least the behavior is deterministic and manageable.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I did contact engineering, who is investigating the issue.

Unfortunately, I don't have more details at this moment.