FIOS internet/tv outage and suddenly working again
Jack_Luminous
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have FIOS and I am in an MDU set up that uses VDSL from the equipment closet back to each unit. On Tuesday afternoon, internet goes down. I check the vdsl model and the light just kept flashing like it can't connect to the ont or something. Sometime later, tv goes out as well.  VZ website mentions something about power issue. I call VZ and spoke to helpful Tier 1 ( i am guessing ) person. Ended up waiting for 20 minutes (no fault of hers) to get through to some dispatch to send someone out. They can't do Wednesay...ok fine. So appt set for Thursday sometime between 8 and 5 pm (?!). 

Anyways, while at work I am getting these robocalls from VZ asking me if the problem was resolved and if I still need the tech visit. That made no sense to me. I got several of those. I get home and power on the model then router and internet is working again. Tv is working again.  

I did not cancel the tech visit because I wanted to know if there was a problem with ONT or what. Got the property manager to come and unlock the equipment closet yesterday and eveyrhting. Just now, some VZ person calls me and says we can't come out today. Wasted a whole day of work for nothing. Unbelievable. I asked for a supervisor and I am still waiting for a call back.

Questions:

1. What problem could it be that allowed VZ to possibly fix it remotely? I don't even know if they in fact fixed anything because their "repair status" feature on their site is pretty useless.

2. Could this be a sign of an ONT problem? I've had VZ for many years and have never had a problem that caused Tv to go out as well. The only other problem I had was due to equipment failure.

0 Likes
Re: FIOS internet/tv outage and suddenly working again
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

YOur asking peers.

But lots of problems can be external and fixed, and some problems can be fixed that involve their sending signals to the box to set settings or reboot various boxes.

Never had to deal with MDU equipment.  Obviously more than the regular Ont is envolved and more things that can go wrong.

0 Likes