Re: FiOS Quantum Gateway Router - Intermittent Dropped Connections
jonjones1
Legend

@mcrattiswrote:

I am having same problem.  Had old 75/75 with an Actiontec router and not a problem.  New Quantum Gateway with a Verizon range extender and was working fine for a few weeks.  Now, constantly losing signal and rebooting router.   I noticed the WAN light on the router is not on but some devices still receiving signals.  

Is it simply the router?  I have FIOS TV service too, so believe I need the Gateway Router.  Does anyone have the link on how to hook up a different router and turn off wireless on Quantum if that is truly the issue?  

Thanks in advance. 

The link you need is here https://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios?

it could simply be a bad router. In any case get a good router (they cost money) and put it into access point mode. Then after you have the router up and stable, go into the Quantum and turn off the WiFi on all bands 2.4 & 5 & guest networks.

make sure the WiFi is on and functional on your provided store bought router.

leaving the Quantum in the mix will assure tech support as well as service to your set top box for tv. 

Section 3.1 at the web link should assist you.

0 Likes
rajooo

hi

I had this problem start sometime earlier this year... 

I upgraded from the actiontec to the G1100 but there is still a problem. 

I see that the connection drops/hangs every few seconds every minute or less. 

Its really annoying esp for webex

Has someone figure a solution yet ?

0 Likes
Jackia

Same Issue here since the upgrade to G1100 75/75 plan. I am experiencing this problem lately. Broadband connection via COAX drop intermittently over 5 times within a min. Takes about 5-8sec to have connection back. Each time DHCP assigned a new IP address to my router. At First i thought it might be my ONT and bad BBU. After reading all the post from page 1-10, seems like the problem lies in Quantum Gateway itself. Missed that old router tho :/. They forced me to send the old router back after the upgrade. 

I hope to see a REAL solution to this known defect!

0 Likes
Jackia

So I called Tech Support today, took 30mins to get a representative. All they KNOW to do was to perform a reset on the router. It did not resolve the problem where my broadband connection dropping intermittently. So I asked if they can send me any different model other than G1100. It turned out G1100 is STILL their latest router!

ONLY solution is either to have them run brand NEW cables(fiber/COAX/CAT6) and SPLITTER as well or simply switch to another internet carrier. FYI the Battery seems to be working fine. Don't see any red indicator on it. 

I am considering Optimum. Gonna buy a decent router at my own cost.

0 Likes
Sick4point6

I had an issue with my gateway doing the same thing. I was about to tell Verizon to take it back I don’t want it. Then today I moved it to another outlet (the outlet it was in felt loose) and also moved it to a spot that was getting more air. It seems to have solved my DC issue so far. I’ll update if that changes at all.

0 Likes
Heynow2

I’m having the same issue only my set up is a bit different. I used to have an old Actiontec router. The internet was coming in over the coax. I purchased an Orbi router. I called Verizon and had them activate Ethernet port on the ONT. Now the internet is coming in to the orbi via Ethernet. Now at random times, (like every few days only tonight it happened twice within a couple hours. When the Ethernet goes offline, I can either disconnect and reconnect the Ethernet connection OR reboot the router and then it will start working again. Any one else having the same issue?  Any ideas?

0 Likes
iseeker2019

Hi

What is the functionality of Load Media Router Component?

Does disabling the component can cause any side effect of casting ability to chromecast device?

Thank you

0 Likes
pinnacle_ls

Like everyone here, I also had this problem.  I could be 15 - 20 feet from the router and lose connection, while my wife sitting next to me was fine.  Other times it would be her on her computer losing connection while I was fine.  Our kids would get dropped from Zoom classes.  I had an Quantum router and 100 meg connection.  After troubleshooting with a Verizon tech, I was told I had too many devices connected and needed to upgrade my router and increase my speed. I got the latest G3100 router and doubled my speed to 200 Mbps.  Things actually got worse.  Verizon was no help in troubleshooting.  Finally, after reading some troubleshooting guides online, I decided to try a MESH system.  Part of upgrading to 200 Mbps meant I had to ditch cable and run CAT5 cable.  I purchased the TP-Link Deco 5 MESH system.  Plugged it in, turned it on and said goodbye to drops.  I have a relatively small house >1500 sq. ft that it was built in the 40's.  I didn't think that I needed something like this for such a small house but it has been a game changer.  I now have +100 Mbps to every corner of my house.  Worth a try, you can always return the device if it doesn't work for you. No more drops after 2 months.

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have problems with both G1100 and G3100, it may be something in your house is causing excessive interference (including neighbor's WiFi, microwaves, etc. etc.)

For video conferencing and other latency-sensitive/connectivity-sensitive applications, wired Ethernet is the best way to go.

If you have more questions, please open a new thread. Thatnks.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes