Re: FioS Network Adapter
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

As gs0b said you definitely won't need a splitter due to the signal strength from the ONT. Don't use an amp because Verizon has special MoCA bypass amps. If you connect a standard cable amp it will block your MoCA.

If you are concerned about the signal to your office then connect the two-port splitter to your ONT one out will connect to your office and the other out will connect to the four-port splitter. This way your office will only be losing -3.5 dB. Everything off the 4 port(-7.5dB) will be at -11dB which is perfectly acceptable. 

jonjones1
Legend

@jedam wrote:

@jonjones wrote:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-Coax-Installation-and-Testing-Kit-with-Connector-VDV002818/2...

its very easy. These kits give instructions on how to do it.

or watch this video

https://youtu.be/0i-YWTmC-l8

Thanks, that looks like even i could do it!

None of that other junk about signal to this or that matters. If you have room on the splitter it's place the ends on and attach. No rocket science involved. You will see it is very easy. I have wired our home for both cable (coaxial) and fios (ethernet) it really is much easier than it looks. Relax and enjoy the work that you will do. 😀

jedam
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Edg1 wrote:

As gs0b said you definitely won't need a splitter due to the signal strength from the ONT. Don't use an amp because Verizon has special MoCA bypass amps. If you connect a standard cable amp it will block your MoCA.

If you are concerned about the signal to your office then connect the two-port splitter to your ONT one out will connect to your office and the other out will connect to the four-port splitter. This way your office will only be losing -3.5 dB. Everything off the 4 port(-7.5dB) will be at -11dB which is perfectly acceptable. 

I found the page in the STB diagnostics page that shows the signal strength for the various coax outlets in use. This is at Memu --> Customer Support --> Top Support Tools --> Connected Device Status --> Connecterd Status, then select one of the devices listed, and finally select Advanced Diagnostics.

I'm no expert on this sort of thing, but according to what I saw there, before inserting any new splitter the "OOB Signal Level" for the DVR upstairs is 3.0 dBmV, while the "Inband Signal Power Level" to the same device is 1.0 dBmV. So when we speak of the "dB level" being 1.3dB or -11dB, how does that relate to these "dBmV" readings?

0 Likes
jedam
Enthusiast - Level 3

@jonjones wrote:

@jedam wrote:

@jonjones wrote:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-Coax-Installation-and-Testing-Kit-with-Connector-VDV002818/2...

its very easy. These kits give instructions on how to do it.

or watch this video

https://youtu.be/0i-YWTmC-l8

Thanks, that looks like even i could do it!

None of that other junk about signal to this or that matters. If you have room on the splitter it's place the ends on and attach. No rocket science involved. You will see it is very easy. I have wired our home for both cable (coaxial) and fios (ethernet) it really is much easier than it looks. Relax and enjoy the work that you will do. 😀

That's good to know, thanks! Often, projects look harder than they really are.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jedam wrote:

@Edg1 wrote:

I found the page in the STB diagnostics page that shows the signal strength for the various coax outlets in use. This is at Memu --> Customer Support --> Top Support Tools --> Connected Device Status --> Connecterd Status, then select one of the devices listed, and finally select Advanced Diagnostics.

I'm no expert on this sort of thing, but according to what I saw there, before inserting any new splitter the "OOB Signal Level" for the DVR upstairs is 3.0 dBmV, while the "Inband Signal Power Level" to the same device is 1.0 dBmV. So when we speak of the "dB level" being 1.3dB or -11dB, how does that relate to these "dBmV" readings?

OOB is the out of band signal at 75.25 MHz. That is the frequency that the boxes receive commands. The InBand is the frequency for whatever channel the box is tuned to and will change when you change the channel. The dBmV readings can go to -6 before having any issues. If your Inband band is at 1 dBmV and you add a two port splitter the dBmV will drop to -2.5 which is perfectly acceptable. 

jedam
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Edg1 wrote:

OOB is the out of band signal at 75.25 MHz. That is the frequency that the boxes receive commands. The InBand is the frequency for whatever channel the box is tuned to and will change when you change the channel. The dBmV readings can go to -6 before having any issues. If your Inband band is at 1 dBmV and you add a two port splitter the dBmV will drop to -2.5 which is perfectly acceptable. 

Thanks, I learned something new tonight!

i was going to ask one last question before trying all this out: can I use a regular coax spliter, or is it better to put in a MoCA splitter specifically, like maybe this one? But on re-reading the thread I see that @gs0b had already answered that (basically it's not necessary, but it helps), so I think I'm good to go.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Buy a MoCA splitter, they don't cost much more thana non-MoCA splitter and it will save you from having to debug more problems.

jedam
Enthusiast - Level 3

@gs0b wrote:

Buy a MoCA splitter, they don't cost much more thana non-MoCA splitter and it will save you from having to debug more problems.

Will do, thanks!

A big THANK YOU to everyone who helped with information, tips, and links. I'll be back if we run into a problem, but right now it's all looking pretty straightforward.

jedam
Enthusiast - Level 3

Update on this project: I'm no cable technician or industry professional. When I got the chance to work on this project today, I soon discovered that both the splitter that runs out of the ONT and the splitter that I purchased to connect the upstairs bedroom to my wife's office, have all-female connectors. That is, the OUT port on the FiOS splitter and the IN port on the new splitter are BOTH female. Smiley Frustrated

So it looks like I'll have to buy some male-to-male coax couplers before this will work.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm confused. The cable in the basement which leads to your wife's office should have a male F-connector like this picture. That will connect to the splitter.