Re: Firmware Updates
jonjones1
Legend

@Mohnkern wrote:

Its unfortunate when I find security issue with the equipment, there's no way for me to resolve them other than wait for when verizon gets around to updating our firmware.

Guess I'll have to put a firewall behind the verizon router to be safe.

Out of the many routers out there being used the Quantum Gateway G1100 would not be my first choice. I use a Netgear Nighthawk and so far Netgear has pushed out two security updates since the Krack vulnerability was discovered. Did it really do anything? Who knows.

in days long past manufactures would send out phony updates that would simply change the firmware version id. It was to appease the masses that kept bothering them.

I don’t use Verizon’s router, I did not use the supplied modem when we used cable internet and I used my own router in addition to my Motorola modem which was not tinkered with by Time Warner (now Charter)

placing multiple firewalls is overkill where it’s like using a lawes rocket to kill a roach.

check your logs and you will see you are under no threats.

0 Likes
Mohnkern1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Actually, you're wrong, I did check the logs on the Verizon router, and there are frequent port scans on the front facing interface in an attempt to compromise the router, followed by specific connections on the open ports.  

So no, a second firewall is not overkill when I know the FIOS firewall has vulnerabilities that can compromise the integrity of the firewall on that router.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

http://www.grc.com 

try a scan there. 

The premise is the attacks are blocked. That is why I said check your logs.

many times the intrusion you are seeing is/our your own network devices.

it happens quite a lot with cable internet. May be an issue with Fios internet also.

0 Likes
Mohnkern1
Enthusiast - Level 3

ITs not, I  checked the ips, and they are from Asia.  

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Ah ha....

i am thinking they are being blocked?

if so the routers firewall is doing its job. Doing a double firewall can slow down performance like it does with using a firewall based on the OS. Like Microsoft where the device firewall is on by default. You compound that with other device firewalls and then it’s slow slow slow. 

I was checking my logs and I see nothing but time syncing only. But like I said I use my own router.

Maybe buy a better router. Like I did. Better firmware updates, better WiFi performance, triband and mimo and faster processor. And better firewall protection.

i cannot say enough good things about the Netgear routers I have used over the years.

but there are other great routers you can get from other companies.

0 Likes